Where has the money gone?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
jaws1

Re: Where has the money go...

Post by jaws1 »

ddtftf posted:
gpartin posted:
The Pearl posted:
In Ian Lenagans BBC interview he said the credit note was over a 4 year period so that may explain part of the missing money. The players leaving surely should have allowed more than £140k cap space.
Unless, as has been suggested, we were well over the cap last year?
Don't you think that Mr Lenagan should be open with the fans & tell us the truth? that way he would have the respect from us that at last we have a true picture of the club finances and end all the speculation of hidden adjenda within the club, its about time the true facts are told.

I think IL has been open and told us the truth up to a point,.IL has a degree in mathematics and a astute business man and would have gone over the books with a fine tooth comb if he says that we have only £140.000 left on the cap then i believe him .Dont forget Coleys contract money would not be in that figure . Are we making up Barretts money now his Aussie money has dried up ???????
The players who deferred there wages could be on higher pay this season.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

jaws1 posted:
ddtftf posted:
gpartin posted: Unless, as has been suggested, we were well over the cap last year?
Don't you think that Mr Lenagan should be open with the fans & tell us the truth? that way he would have the respect from us that at last we have a true picture of the club finances and end all the speculation of hidden adjenda within the club, its about time the true facts are told.

I think IL has been open and told us the truth up to a point,.IL has a degree in mathematics and a astute business man and would have gone over the books with a fine tooth comb if he says that we have only £140.000 left on the cap then i believe him .Dont forget Coleys contract money would not be in that figure . Are we making up Barretts money now his Aussie money has dried up ???????
The players who deferred there wages could be on higher pay this season.
I think it shows our sport up as insignificant when you talk about players in the first team on less than 25k and businesses which have money being held back due to spending restrictions. Who in their right mind would invest in a club with such limits in place and are there any other types of business you can think of with such a restriction to trade?

Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

NICKYKISS posted:
Cruncher posted:

Sorry, but this is pure conjecture.
Of course it is mate. I have no inside knowledge or anything like that but serioulsy how else can the 'shortfall' be explained other then one of two ways.

The first one is that the 5 players mentioned were shareing about 180k or the other is that we must have broke the cap again.

I know which one i think is the correct one.
There's another way: there are certain players in the team who'll be on pay-upgrades next year. Maybe considerable upgrades (all completely legal as long as it's stipulated in the original contract). Think about it.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I agree with cruncher on this. for me its clear that a huge chunk of the money left by the DV, Fletcher and other departing players will be give to some of the players already in the squad. I think the dragons was paying 50k or more to Barrett. that will be payed by us next season.the players who took a pay cut will get better deals aswell.

I dont believe we'll get a deduction.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Cruncher posted:

There's another way: there are certain players in the team who'll be on pay-upgrades next year. Maybe considerable upgrades (all completely legal as long as it's stipulated in the original contract). Think about it.
It could well be the case but thats some upgrades Mo has been handing out to a set of players that last year nearly got us relegated and then this year didn't come up with the goods on a consistant basis.

If thats the case then he's made a bigger mess then even i thought possible.

It will all come out in the wash anyway and now is the time to look forward.

I'm excited about the prospect of this club in the 'long term'.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

NICKYKISS posted:
Cruncher posted:

It could well be the case but thats some upgrades Mo has been handing out to a set of players that last year nearly got us relegated and then this year didn't come up with the goods on a consistant basis.

I agree, I think Mo's made a bit of a mess here. But looking on the bright side, imagine if it was still down to Mo to try and sort it out.

At least the guy now in charge has recognised that there's a problem, admitted it in public and is employing real business smarts to clean it all up.

It's very disappointing that a new era does not necessarily equate to exciting new players at the JJB, but that's only a short-term problem. There is still scope for new signings in 2008, albeit smaller ones than we were anticipating, and 2009 will be a very different matter.

In the meantime: Noble's staying, we're installed in the JJB for the next half-century, and there's nothing any Latics fan can do about it - how cool is that? - and we've increased club assets significantly by taking permanent possession of the rugby excellence centre at Orrell.

These are all good signs. I think there are grounds for optimism.

standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

Cruncher posted:
NICKYKISS posted:
Cruncher posted:

I agree, I think Mo's made a bit of a mess here. But looking on the bright side, imagine if it was still down to Mo to try and sort it out.

At least the guy now in charge has recognised that there's a problem, admitted it in public and is employing real business smarts to clean it all up.

It's very disappointing that a new era does not necessarily equate to exciting new players at the JJB, but that's only a short-term problem. There is still scope for new signings in 2008, albeit smaller ones than we were anticipating, and 2009 will be a very different matter.

In the meantime: Noble's staying, we're installed in the JJB for the next half-century, and there's nothing any Latics fan can do about it - how cool is that? - and we've increased club assets significantly by taking permanent possession of the rugby excellence centre at Orrell.

definatly!with a good centre then i dont know why people are writing next season off already.least we have someone in charge who knows what they are doing reguading the wages ect!it would be a disaster if mo was still here.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

standishwarrior posted:
Cruncher posted:
NICKYKISS posted: It could well be the case but thats some upgrades Mo has been handing out to a set of players that last year nearly got us relegated and then this year didn't come up with the goods on a consistant basis.

definatly!with a good centre then i dont know why people are writing next season off already.least we have someone in charge who knows what they are doing reguading the wages ect!it would be a disaster if mo was still here.
I feel sorry for the new management,imagine you buy a new top of the range car, only to find that someone has taken the engine out & you do not have enough money to replace it for another year. I suspect that Mr Lenagan feels just like this at the moment. I must admit that I DO feel confident the he is an HONEST MAN at the helm of our club and must be feeling very frustrated at the moment. My best wishes go with him, and my thanks for investing his money into such a passionate cause.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Id take the car for a test drive, then you'll know it has an engine. also, for insurance purposes, you need engine size etc... wouldnt want a fraudulant dealer now would we?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

ancientnloyal posted:
Id take the car for a test drive, then you'll know it has an engine. also, for insurance purposes, you need engine size etc... wouldnt want a fraudulant dealer now would we?
You are forgetting that THIS car is a classic and with a bit of investment and a new engine it could bring much more than he paid for it, hope Joe Lydon is a good mechanic.