Presumably McAvoy

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ancientnloyal

Re: Presumably McAvoy

Post by ancientnloyal »

Millard and Fletcher wouldnt be on deferred wages would they? I know Millard wouldn't be as he signed for 2007 whereas I doubt Fletcher would accept deferred payment in his first season with us. I may be wrong
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Maybe the kitty would have been even less it Millard had stayed. And Fletcher wouldn't have been out of pocked as he would have been paid out of next seasons salary cap. Maybe a rich person paid him this year to balance the books? Our new owner did say that a lot of things were not Written Down, meaning that there was a lot of Verbal agreements.Reading between the lines it looks like our BOOKS for the traceability of wages expences etc were in a mess and that is why it took so long to complete the deal.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ddtftf posted:
Maybe the kitty would have been even less it Millard had stayed. And Fletcher wouldn't have been out of pocked as he would have been paid out of next seasons salary cap. Maybe a rich person paid him this year to balance the books? Our new owner did say that a lot of things were not Written Down, meaning that there was a lot of Verbal agreements.Reading between the lines it looks like our BOOKS for the traceability of wages expences etc were in a mess and that is why it took so long to complete the deal.
Lenegan was referring to the clubs tenure on the JJB and related issues such as advertising revenue when he said things were not written down. Talk about conspiracy theories!

If nothing was written down regarding wages how come we broke the salary cap?

Dave
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ddtftf posted:
Maybe the kitty would have been even less it Millard had stayed.
AFAIK it hasn't been officially announced that he is leaving. It was very likely that the operation was career-ending, but nothing has yet been confirmed. He's still listed on the club website, although so is DV since he is still a contracted player for another 13 hours or so.... (I think the contracts run until 1st November!). But there may be a bit more cash available because of Grandad.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey posted:
Personally, I would NOT spend the cap money on any-one if the quality players are not available.
In which case Wigan would be unlikely to be able to fulfil their fixtures next season if only a few injuries occurred.

At the moment we have a squad of 19 players who have had 1st team experience and I include Hill and Tomkins in that figure. They are:

Richards, Calderwood, Bailey, Goulding, Colbon, Barrett, Leuluai, Fielden, Feca, Prescott, O'Carroll,
Higham, McIlurom, Hock, Hansen, Coley, O'Loughlin, Hill and Tomkins.

Given that 19 includes Prescott, Goulding, O'Carroll, Colbon, Tomkins, Hill and McIllorum our first 17 is going to have at least five players who under normal circumstances you would not expect to be regular 1st team players given their experience.

If we add Flannagan, Coyle and Kavanagh that gives us a squad of 22.

That is neither large enough nor experienced enough to compete.

Somehow IL has got to make that £140K stretch to at least three experienced players.

So it isn't a matter of not spending the money we have because the players won't be good enough. We have no alternative to recruit the best we can get for the money we can spend,

Dave
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Did Lenagan tell you it was relating to advertising issues? or are you just guessing.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ddtftf posted:
Did Lenagan tell you it was relating to advertising issues? or are you just guessing.
It is in his interview that was on the BBC.

Dave
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO posted:
butt monkey posted:
Personally, I would NOT spend the cap money on any-one if the quality players are not available.
In which case Wigan would be unlikely to be able to fulfil their fixtures next season if only a few injuries occurred.

At the moment we have a squad of 19 players who have had 1st team experience and I include Hill and Tomkins in that figure. They are:

Richards, Calderwood, Bailey, Goulding, Colbon, Barrett, Leuluai, Fielden, Feca, Prescott, O'Carroll,
Higham, McIlurom, Hock, Hansen, Coley, O'Loughlin, Hill and Tomkins.

Given that 19 includes Prescott, Goulding, O'Carroll, Colbon, Tomkins, Hill and McIllorum our first 17 is going to have at least five players who under normal circumstances you would not expect to be regular 1st team players given their experience.

If we add Flannagan, Coyle and Kavanagh that gives us a squad of 22.

That is neither large enough nor experienced enough to compete.

Somehow IL has got to make that £140K stretch to at least three experienced players.

So it isn't a matter of not spending the money we have because the players won't be good enough. We have no alternative to recruit the best we can get for the money we can spend,

Dave
Dave, you just took this quote out of its context, read the rest of the paragraph/post.

It says that we can STILL SIGN PLAYERS, if the 20/25 and any available money is left unspent. This can be spent on loan deals/signings of unsettled players IF necessary. :roll: Meaning more than the 19 squad men mentioned! - Again IF necessary/required! Not just signing any old crap player just to make numbers up. :wink:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Given the fact that due to the size of our squad we are unlikely to be winning trophies this season and a player like McAvoy, whatever you dreamers think, is unlikely to be the difference between success and failure - I would be tempted to use some of the cap to get a few promising young players from other clubs. Surely there must be a few centres/other players in the academies who are almost ready to step up to SL. I think a young lad is worth a gamble and a better long term option than signing a 30 (?) year old has been. If there are no half decent Academy players available then the future of RL is pretty bleak.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

gpartin posted:
Given the fact that due to the size of our squad we are unlikely to be winning trophies this season and a player like McAvoy, whatever you dreamers think, is unlikely to be the difference between success and failure - I would be tempted to use some of the cap to get a few promising young players from other clubs. Surely there must be a few centres/other players in the academies who are almost ready to step up to SL. I think a young lad is worth a gamble and a better long term option than signing a 30 (?) year old has been. If there are no half decent Academy players available then the future of RL is pretty bleak.
I agree exactly. We might as rebuild with some promising youngsters becasue in 12 months time we'll be in the same position with McAvoy. BTW does anyone know if the full back from Widnes has been signed by anytbody yet (Grix I think)