Vaealiki on his back?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
crookmeister

Vaealiki on his back?

Post by crookmeister »

all i can say is that would be good because we have signed knowone and if he was cheap then he would be a decent signing IMO

your views on vaealiki returning?
Fraggle

Re: Vaealiki on his back?

Post by Fraggle »

crookmeister posted:
if he was cheap
Which is the key part to this. When he was signed it was on a deal that was apparently going to set him up for life. Having been on, say, £100k/year, he's not likely to settle for a massive reduction on that to the level we can afford, and his performances over the 3 years don't really justify giving him a new contract.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I very much doubt he is set up for life, if he was even on £300k per year, that's only £900k in total. It sounds like a lot of money, but when you consider that he would have to find another job when he returns home to Aus / NZ, just to keep himself and his family in a home and with food and drink for the next few decades.

If he has a trade or if he is business minded, he might invest some of his past earnings into a business and make it grow, but if he is just going to get a run of the mill job, he may struggle to downgrade his lifestyle accordingly. Don't forget the money he has earned playing rugby may have to last him the rest of his life, which could well be 50+ years.
There are very few rich rugby players. Admittedly there are some who have got more than others. ie, Faz, Offiah, to name but two. The vast majority of players who are retiring from the game are having to find suitable employment that will keep their families supported for many years to come.

Anyway, if he is prepared to come back and play for a hugely reduced salary, I would be happy with that, for just one season. It's better than signing nobody at all that can play centre.

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Flash posted:
I'm still trying to work out why he is on his back...did he fall over? :D
Lockers took his head of during traing :o :wink: :lol:
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Nobby`s Girl posted:
Fraggle posted:

Which is the key part to this. When he was signed it was on a deal that was apparently going to set him up for life. Having been on, say, £100k/year, he's not likely to settle for a massive reduction on that to the level we can afford, and his performances over the 3 years don't really justify giving him a new contract.

But Fraggle how do you know this? If he has been on this amount of money for 3 years and would have set him up for llife, then surly he doesnt need this amount of money in his pay packet, if he`s already set up for life..

1) he likes playing rugby, and
2) no other teams interested, (maybe cos of the money issue)

With something on the news today about a footballer who's pay slip is out in the public domain getting paid £140,000/month, I was thinking I had been rather low in my estimation and that he might have been on £200,000/year which would work out very nicely with the current exchange rate between GBP and AUD (yes, I know he's a Kiwi but I'm sure the pound-nz money rate is also good!). But anyway, I can't imagine any of these players ever saying "ok, I've got enough money now, I don't need to earn so much anymore so please let me play for less money". Maybe the likes of McAvoy who is in his 30's, but not DV who still has a good few years left in him. The news story does suggest that an NRL team are also interested, so it's not as if he's got no-one to play for (again, unlike McAvoy who seems to just drift from team to team...)

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Nobby`s Girl posted:
Maybe the likes of McAvoy who is in his 30's,
:wink:
Nothing wrong with 30-somethings!

My point about McAvoy is that once upon a time he was a highly-rated player with a stable place at Salford and then Bradford, also getting named in the squad for his country (England and GB), but in recent years he has very much become a journeyman moving from team to team, with no stability, no long-term contract, and probably on a pretty low salary. Players tend to be a bit more flexible as their careers progress in the hope of securing something a bit more stable (Stanley Gene getting a proper contract at HKR for the first time in 60 years!). DV is still young enough that he might want to try getting back into the NZ team, which is unlikely at the moment.

Or maybe he'll surprise me and accept a massive pay cut that reflects the fact that he only scored 11 tries in almost 50 games for Wigan, not good enough for an expensive (former) international.

[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Fraggle posted:
Or maybe he'll surprise me and accept a massive pay cut that reflects the fact that he only scored 11 tries in almost 50 games for Wigan, not good enough for an expensive (former) international.
Damn Wikipedia, can't trust the numbers! 11 in 50 is not correct, but anyway the point still stands when you look at the numbers on here:-

Martin Aspinwall: 138 points in 110 appearances (average 1.25/game)

David Hodgson: 184 points in 124 appearances (average 1.48/game)

Jamie Ainscough: 86 points in 41 appearances (average 2.10/game)

David Vaealiki: 76 points in 82 appearances (average 0.96/game)

Covers league, cup, play-off and friendlies for Wigan, starts and sub appearances, excludes Academy/Alliance/etc fixtures.

[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Fraggle posted:
Fraggle posted:
Damn Wikipedia, can't trust the numbers! 11 in 50 is not correct, but anyway the point still stands when you look at the numbers on here:-

Martin Aspinwall: 138 points in 110 appearances (average 1.25/game)

David Hodgson: 184 points in 124 appearances (average 1.48/game)

Jamie Ainscough: 86 points in 41 appearances (average 2.10/game)

David Vaealiki: 76 points in 82 appearances (average 0.96/game)

Covers league, cup, play-off and friendlies for Wigan, starts and sub appearances, excludes Academy/Alliance/etc fixtures.
Not sure what those stats prove really: Asinwall & Hodgson scored most of their points from the wing, not centre.

Bailey: 28 points in 34 games is a worse record than DV, if you look purely at tries scored.
andybailey147

Post by andybailey147 »

d vael wouldn be that bad a move if he came back, if we couldnt get anyone better?
danwrlfc

Post by danwrlfc »

Worst player since Doc Murray! No way should we bring him back he's had three years to prove himself at Wigan and failed. If he was any good other Super League Clubs would want to sign him.

Young Goulding is twice the player.