Specially for Turf.....Chris Ashton!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
doc

Specially for Turf.....Chris Ashton!

Post by doc »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A28512335

The mind boggles at how poor the standards in RU must be!
DaveO

Re: Specially for Turf.....Chr...

Post by DaveO »

doc posted:

He can't have much running at him defensively in that league and he can't be running at defences that are any good going the other way.

Dave
cpwigan

Re: Specially for Turf.......

Post by cpwigan »

I think he has been playing on the wing.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

DaveO posted:
doc posted:

He can't have much running at him defensively in that league and he can't be running at defences that are any good going the other way.
Dave
To be honest Dave, how often do we see RU sides running the ball and using a lot of handling skill and pace to out fox a defence. From my experience of playing RU, the ball is often (much too often if you ask me) kicked downfield for territorial advantage, then only when within, say, 30 yards of the opposition line is it given to the outside backs. This is the main reason why I eventually stopped playing RU and "defected" to League.
We all know about Ashton's pace and in fairness I think the RL NL2 is probably more in line with RU NL1, so imagine how much of a devastating try scoring machine he would be if he was still in RL and playing in NL2.
I still hope he succeeds at RU, but on the other hand I still think his switch was handled extremely poorly (by himself and his management) and he made a poor decision to go purely for the money, when he was still relatively unproved at a high level of the game.

turf

Post by turf »

Yes. I know it is lower standard RU opposition he is playing against but he is still doing extremely well IMO. :lol: :lol: :D :D
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

no hes shit hes a trator he is scum end of .....
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

shawcross da warrior posted:
no hes shit hes a trator he is scum end of .....
Dont hold back now will you :lol:

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

no i aint doin lol ..... :lol:
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

He is only playing second tier rugby union and he is basically too fast for them, if you see the clips of his first try for Northampton all he does is out sprint the other players and I expect most of his other tries are similar.

It will be a completely different story when he comes up against a team who can cope with his pace and up against some wingers who will test is defence.

He will do well in his first season like he did at Wigan but when things get difficult in the Premiership next season he performances will be worse.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

adrenalinxx posted:
It will be a completely different story when he comes up against a team who can cope with his pace and up against some wingers who will test is defence.
Slightly different not completely. Not sure there are too many wingers who would test his defence in Rah Rah are there? Apart from Vainikolo of course.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."