Richie Mathers

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
shawcross da warrior

Re: Richie Mathers

Post by shawcross da warrior »

all we need is a prop forward then its sorted.....

tom g

Post by tom g »

Do we really need a new prop?We already have 5 players who play prop regularly (Feka, Fielden,Prescott,O'Carroll & Coley) if you include Danny Hill (who if I remember right played prop last year at some points) we have 6.Also Bailey could remain in the centre as we have plenty of players who can play second row.So will we get a new centre either?
Listening to an interview with Lenegan on the podcast he acknowledged that recruitment would be limited and 2008 may be a bit of a struggle.It may not be ideal but personally I believe that this now may be our complete squad for 2008.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

According to the W Observer Lenegan is quoted as saying he hopes to follow up the Mathers signing with a new centre.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Dicknterry

Post by Dicknterry »

Justin Hodges perhaps??
"A closed mouth gathers no foot"
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

God posted:
also Mathers knee is very,very suspect after 2 carrer threatning injurys to it.
I don't think it is such a risk, so long as the rehabilitation is going ok. In most cases, a knee reconstruction seems to solve the problem and players are not at any more risk of having the same injury again as anyone else. I know he's not playing RL anymore, but look at Faz - he's had both knees done in recent years and as far as I know, none of his subsequent injuries were related to the knee reconstructions. The same applies to lots of players who have these bad injuries (Lockers as well), once they've fully recovered they carry on playing as before.

I'd even go as far as to say that it's better to have a reconstruction if you've got dodgy ligaments than try to carry on playing without the op. The op means several months out of the game, but trying to play with damaged ligaments does more long-term damage I think.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

GeoffN posted:
adrenalinxx posted:
Just seen this morning that Mathers has been released by Gold Coast and is interested in joining Wigan.

I don't think Mathers is the right signing for Wigan his defence is woeful which was a big complaint about Chris Ashton from Wigan fans. They might as well stick a turnstile at full back because it would let less people through.
Perhaps; my feeling is that if good enough for an Aussie side to want him, he'll do for me. I think he's (was?) the only Brit playing in the NRL?
Just hope he has or does recover from that serious injury. 5 games is not a lot in any season to detrmine his calibre in australia. He was, before he went to Oz, probably GB second choice full back after Wellens.
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

East Stand Faithful posted:
According to the W Observer Lenegan is quoted as saying he hopes to follow up the Mathers signing with a new centre.

least we know it wont be veaeliki coming back!!id love it to be cooper but if not him pryce would be a decent signing
adam

Post by adam »

according to the daily star wigan should followw up the signing of richie mathers with matt cooper and karl pryce
thomo

Post by thomo »

Do we really need a new prop?We already have 5 players who play prop regularly (Feka, Fielden,Prescott,O'Carroll & Coley) if you include Danny Hill (who if I remember right played prop last year at some points) we have 6.Also Bailey could remain in the centre as we have plenty of players who can play second row.So will we get a new centre either?
Listening to an interview with Lenegan on the podcast he acknowledged that recruitment would be limited and 2008 may be a bit of a struggle.It may not be ideal but personally I believe that this now may be our complete squad for 2008.

Dont know how to copy comments yet - does cut an d past work?
Anyway - we do need a prop as Feka is a short bursts man, fielden is not an effective 80 minute prop, o'carroll is a kid and front row is a mans world and prescott is just knock big enough
Coley could be a prop but that would leave us very light in the second row.
Been saying for months got to put some big kilos on Prescott, O'carroll, hansen, hock, O'laughlan and Hill -
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

standishwarrior posted:
East Stand Faithful posted:

least we know it wont be veaeliki coming back!!id love it to be cooper but if not him pryce would be a decent signing
I think we need some speed at centre, Price is big and strong but not that quick. He does fit the Nobby mould of player, not sure on this one.