Mathers to Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Martin Taylor

Mathers to Wigan

Post by Martin Taylor »

Titans release Mathers, Walker injured
Tuesday, November 6, 2007 - 6:18 PM

Gold Coast have released Englishman Richie Mathers from the final year of his contract just a day before first-choice fullback Chris Walker broke down at training with a serious foot injury.

Mathers, 24, will head back home to join Super League club Wigan on a three-year deal.

The timing is unfortunate for the Titans, who will lose Walker for at least six months after the former Queensland Origin star ruptured an Achilles tendon on Monday at Casuarina on the northern NSW coast.

Mathers met with Titans chief executive Michael Searle and coach John Cartwright on Sunday when he was granted a release on "compassionate grounds".

"I've had a tough 12 months here injury-wise," said Mathers, who played only a handful of games for the Titans after undergoing a right knee reconstruction this year.

"It was a fantastic opportunity for me to go home."

Wigan has not yet announced the news so Mathers did not want to confirm which club he would be joining.

"It's one of the few clubs that caught my imagination," he said.

"It's made me really excited to go back home to a strong club."

Mathers admitted he had been homesick during his time on the Gold Coast but pointed out it was a minor factor in his decision to leave Australia.

Searle explained: "He was released on compassionate grounds.

"We always knew he was homesick but we we're hoping he'd get through it but obviously it's been too taxing on him and his partner.

"I'm OK with that. He'll be sorely missed. He's been an important part of the playing group and he's really well liked by the boys.

"When you've got a kid like Richie who's such a champion lad, it's hard not to accept his request."

Mathers said he felt sorry for Walker, who ended the 2007 season with a serious knee injury and was almost sacked by the Titans following a drunken incident at a Surfers Paradise nightclub in April.

"I know first-hand how hard he's worked to get back in and what he's had to overcome," the former Leeds fullback said.

"He was really looking forward to next year so it's a terrible shame for Walks and the Titans but I'm sure it'll throw up an opportunity for someone else."

The injury to Walker could fast track the development of his namesake, 18-year-old Shannon Walker, who is the Queensland Cup player of the year.

Source: AAP
Views: 834
GeoffN

Re: Mathers to Wigan

Post by GeoffN »

And now on the Sporting Life site too:

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... Wigan.html

Former Leeds full-back Richie Mathers is set to join Wigan after being released from the final year of his contract at Gold Coast Titans.

The 24-year-old Mathers, the solitary Briton plying his trade in Australia's National Rugby League this year, is thought to have agreed a three-year deal with the Warriors.

Mathers met with Titans chief executive Michael Searle and coach John Cartwright on Sunday when he was granted a release on "compassionate grounds".

Mathers played only a handful of games for the Titans after undergoing a right knee reconstruction this year and was said to be homesick.

Wigan have a full-back vacancy following the move of Chris Ashton to rugby union side Northampton and the retirement of Michael Withers, although Pat Richards did a sterling job for the last two months of the season.

Former Salford prop Andy Coley is Wigan's only confirmed signing for 2008 so far and new owner Ian Lenagan revealed recently there is only £140,000 left on the salary cap for coach Brian Noble to bolster his squad.

and the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 080606.stm

Although both are careful to say it's not confirmed yet.
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

considering the injury he's had i think its abit of a risk offering him a 3 yr contract
Warriors07

Post by Warriors07 »

I dont know what to think of signing him. Suppose he is a good player but injury prone.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Warriors07 posted:
I dont know what to think of signing him. Suppose he is a good player but injury prone.
Perhaps, although I think it was one serious injury rather than a lot of them.

Similar situation to Lockers & Hock's injuries, and they've recovered OK.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

If this is true then 1 or 2 people have really gone and panicked over quotes about non signings.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

is he to play centre? i seem to remember our target is a centre as we have discovered a more than useful full-back who last week said he was happy to continue at full-back!

strange signing in my view also taking his sick notes into account!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

GeoffN posted:
Warriors07 posted:
Perhaps, although I think it was one serious injury rather than a lot of them.

Similar situation to Lockers & Hock's injuries, and they've recovered OK.
dont forget geoff this is mathers 2nd knee reconstruction he had the same problem with his left knee.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

http://www.wigantoday.net/warriors-news ... 3447846.jp

Wigan Warriors have announced the signing of 24-year-old full-back Richie Mathers from the Gold Coast Titans club in Australia.
Mathers has agreed a three-year contract with the second and third seasons subject to playing a minimum number of Super League games in 2008.
The fomer Leeds Rhinos player has been released from his commitments with the Gold Coast Titans to return to England and joins the Wigan squad for pre-season training later this month.

Mathers missed most of his first season in the NRL with a knee injury
But new Wigan owner Ian Lenagan is confident the player is over the problem.

He said: "The risk of signing a player recovering from injury has been minimised by detailed medical examinations. We're looking forward to Richard delivering skill, quality of performance and value over a long career with Wigan."

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Seems nothing on the clubs website. But i do feel to some degree weve been played with by the new owner. I would guys we have 4-5 signings already done last season and not announed as for teh club to have the feel good factor of the new owner.