New version of site

Information and Rules for new message board users, plus FAQs for many common topics. Check here to see if your question has already been answered before posting on other forums.
GeoffN

Re: New version of site

Post by GeoffN »

ancientnloyal posted:
Probably have a fan's seat section... Each user can highlight their seat in the east, south or west stand purely for informational analysis. Then track each user on a big grid/image

:D :wink: :D

Donations would be a good idea (paypal link perhaps?)
I love both those ideas!

Count me in, anyway!

Keep the post counts though!

How about more people able to update the news section? Seems like it's just me at present!

A chat room option might take some of the garbage out of the off-topic (and other) forums.

I've mentioned before the possibility of hyperlinking words or sentences to a url, instead of posting the whole link (in phpBB it's done by using the "URL=" function).

I'll probably think of lots of other stuff!

"View own posts" and "view posts by this user" ?

linked page numbers for older threads, instead of having to go back page by page?

A "Private Message" option?

warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

you can count me in mike. Im happy to help out in whatever way I can.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

GeoffN posted:
ancientnloyal posted:
Probably have a fan's seat section... Each user can highlight their seat in the east, south or west stand purely for informational analysis. Then track each user on a big grid/image

:D :wink: :D

Donations would be a good idea (paypal link perhaps?)
I love both those ideas!

Count me in, anyway!

Keep the post counts though!

How about more people able to update the news section? Seems like it's just me at present!

A chat room option might take some of the garbage out of the off-topic (and other) forums.

I've mentioned before the possibility of hyperlinking words or sentences to a url, instead of posting the whole link (in phpBB it's done by using the "URL=" function).

I'll probably think of lots of other stuff!

"View own posts" and "view posts by this user" ?

linked page numbers for older threads, instead of having to go back page by page?

A "Private Message" option?
All great ideas - this is my chance for a major upgrade of the message board. I'm going to review some of the major systems out there and replicate their functions. It may take some time! I did look into just integrating one of the more popular systems into the site, but it was too difficult to make it do what I wanted in in terms of all the site's content being linked together - so I decided to just do it all myself (I enjoy it really!) I think the message board is what I will start on next, I've finished the user login an donations part of the site, most other things are simple compared to the message board.

WRT the news section, anyone can update news they just need to ask my permission. I guess I may change the default user permissions to be less restrictive on all parts of the site to encourage users to contribute more and then remove permissions from people who abuse the system? If I do that I'd have to make each section of the site have its own moderators who get emails when updates have taken place and can easily undo malicious changes. Maybe thats not too bad an idea - what do you reckon.

I've changed the look of the site a bit, but I've tried not to make it look too boring. Wait for the preview to see what you think!

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

good idea having moderators for specific sections- should of thought of that earlier! That would probably make the site run quicker as well if people are checking on certain things.
ancient and loyal upon my chest

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I'd love to be involved Mike please.

Some great ideas, I think the PM one is the best tbh. What I would really like to see is a Wigan-Warriors.com toolbar for firefox. I downloaded a prog to do them and had a go but cant write code so could only do a basic one.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

gpartin posted:

Some great ideas, I think the PM one is the best tbh. What I would really like to see is a Wigan-Warriors.com toolbar for firefox. I downloaded a prog to do them and had a go but cant write code so could only do a basic one.
What do toolbars do? I tend to avoid them so I'm not to sure what functions they provide.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Mike posted:
gpartin posted:

What do toolbars do? I tend to avoid them so I'm not to sure what functions they provide.
I think toolbars are great, they save a lot of time if they are done well. Main advantage I find is that it saves scrolling up and down so much and you can go straight to the page you want.

Examples of buttons you could have:

one you click on to log in with a drop down box where you'd enter and save log in details.

Search box - drop down to select area within message board/whole site

Online user button drop down to list and could perhaps click on a user to open text box and send PM without changing the page you're on.

Control panel- enter details via toolbar so you could update your pics and info whilst still being in a thread.

Recent posts/threads- drop down and select thread title to go straight to last post.

Inbox - if PM's are introduced (which they should be!!) click to open inbox in a small window so again you don't need to leave message board to send/read - could just be a simple envelope icon with number of messages in brackets, perhaps unread messages only?

Contact user - drop down to complete user list, click on user name to open MSN/Email or whatever info user wishes to give.

My replys, drop down to list of threads your involved in, select one to go to post immediately after your last.

Obviously it could get cluttered if you had all of these but I was just thinking on my feet. Myspace toolbar has 9 buttons and looks fine and works pretty well.

I've just downloaded a prog called toolbar studio which has a wizard on it and looks pretty straight forward. the main problem is this site doesn't show the full address so It'd be impossible without that info. You can create your own icons/animated icons and there's a function where the description appears when you hover over an icon so you can keep the toolbar pretty short. Even creates an installation file and a weblink so other users can install for either firefox or IE.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Thanks g

I will look into it. Based on this evenings progress I have told people about the posibility of a new version of the site about 2 months too soon. I'm sure I have achieved a lot of behind the scenes things that will lead to things progressing a little faster next week though :doz: .

My main priority is getting the message board up to scratch in comparison with others. That means private messages for sure and more moderation control.

Once I've done that, I'll take a look at toolbars.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Hi Mike

i dont mind doing some beta testing done some in the past so ill help out

Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Mike posted:
Thanks g

I will look into it. Based on this evenings progress I have told people about the posibility of a new version of the site about 2 months too soon. I'm sure I have achieved a lot of behind the scenes things that will lead to things progressing a little faster next week though :doz: .

My main priority is getting the message board up to scratch in comparison with others. That means private messages for sure and more moderation control.

Once I've done that, I'll take a look at toolbars.
No probs Mike, I've got mod exp if your need offers too mate.