New version of site

Information and Rules for new message board users, plus FAQs for many common topics. Check here to see if your question has already been answered before posting on other forums.
GeoffN

Re: New version of site

Post by GeoffN »

Fujiman posted:
medlocke posted:
Will we be able to use the explorers back button on the new site, as it does me tits in every time i do it on here and the page has expired. (or is it just my PC)
Mozilla Firefox doesn't seem to have that problem Medlocke
Indeed! Leave it optimised for Firefox, Mike, and let's wean everyone off IE.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

medlocke posted:
I keep meening to switch to firefox i've got it loaded but can't be bothered loading in all my favourites again, might try it again though
You can automatically import all your favourites from IE when you install Firefox.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

GeoffN posted:
medlocke posted:
I keep meening to switch to firefox i've got it loaded but can't be bothered loading in all my favourites again, might try it again though
You can automatically import all your favourites from IE when you install Firefox.
how
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

In Firefox go File->Import... then pick internet explorer
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Cheers Mike that worked a treat, just got to put them back in order and i'm reet
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike posted:
One of the major changes will be that everyone will have permissions to update lots of the content on the site. It will work very much like wikipedia in this respect.
Sounds interesting and a bit dangerous! I assume people won't be able to edit other peoples posts on the forum (except mods as usual)?

Will you or a mod be able to block a section from being updated if things get out of hand?

Another thought is will there be any facility to roll-back a section to a previous state? I am thinking if one section is badly vandalised it may be easier to revert to a known good version than undo the mess.

Happy to help however it all works.

Dave
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO posted:
Mike posted:
One of the major changes will be that everyone will have permissions to update lots of the content on the site. It will work very much like wikipedia in this respect.
Sounds interesting and a bit dangerous! I assume people won't be able to edit other peoples posts on the forum (except mods as usual)?

Will you or a mod be able to block a section from being updated if things get out of hand?

Another thought is will there be any facility to roll-back a section to a previous state? I am thinking if one section is badly vandalised it may be easier to revert to a known good version than undo the mess.

Happy to help however it all works.

Dave

I've added a new permissions level above contributor (who can add content and only edit their own posts - a standard message board user) and below moderator (who can add, edit and delete content) called wiki user. They can add content and edit other peoples content but can't delete. Permissions are on a section by section basis.

TO prevent vandalism I have a couple of things. Each object has an edit history page which contains a list of edits with their associated user and a highlighted summary of differences from the live version. You can restore verisions to the live site with a single button click. Moderators will also be able to remove permissions from users effectively stopping them making any further changes to the site. Moderators can also warn users and see whether other moderators have previsouly warned the same user.

I hadn't though much about larger scale vandalism, but it would be fairly simple to implement a section blocking moderator tool which would prevent any edits by users without moderator permissions or above. Perhaps a date based entire section roll-back function would be useful to. I will think about it.

My aim is to release the new version of the site in the week following the first SL match. Its almost ready to go but I am on holiday next week, so its not a good idea to put it into the wild without me having a clear week to support it!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Mike, will mods be able to see/block IP addresses, or just user names? I know we don't have much problem with sock-puppets now, but we might in the future.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I can actually do that now, but mods can't. It would be simple to do that. At the moment I can turn on IP logging for individual users. I will also allow email addresses to be blocked through the site (i do it in the code at the moment).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Stu_C

Post by Stu_C »

i like it