I hate Union

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaNnY jOnEs

I hate Union

Post by DaNnY jOnEs »

I was aggravated to hear that New Zealand rugby union are now arter Robbie Paul. The game has already lost great players to the other code, such as Jason Robinson, Henry Paul and Iestyn(cant spell) Harris all of these are a great success in union especially Robinson. A few years ago we nearly lost Kris Radlinski and Kieron Cunningham aswell but money was made available to keep them at their clubs. I have no doubt that Great Britain would be on a par with or even better than the Aussies if we had not lost such quality players over the last few years. When will the rugby football league realise that getting rid of such platers is not good for the sport, and sort that salery cap situation out.
if you hate St.Helens clap your hands!
robjoenz

Re: I hate Union

Post by robjoenz »

Why dont Super League clubs all give money to the national (or GB) team to pay players that play for their nation? For example, Wigan give GB money to pay Kris Radlinski to play for his country? Might sound daft but its the clubs way of rewarding their players for being good enough to play for their nation but best of all gets around the salary cap.
Welski

Post by Welski »

This topic comes around every so often and I suppose it will do so until such time that the codes merge or pay scales equalise...I remember in the RU amateur days that the argument from all the RU fans was that their best players were disappearing to RL.

Although for various reasons some players will never switch codes one cant really blame the ones that do.

In what can be a short lived career it must be very difficult for them to turn down a lucrative package from the other code.
Currently RU seems to hold the purse strings and you are spot on with the comment about the salary cap, the sooner free trade is restored the sooner RL will be in a position to compete for the star names.

Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Can see that money is a carrot on a stick for players going to union but its going to ruin league if cap gets lowered again.

I'm for the salary cap, but they ought to limit it to foreign players becase they must be well paid to want to move to England. So lift the cap on British players and punish the clubs that can't be bothered with an Academy.
Welski

Post by Welski »

Do you not think that the games potential has moved forward since the days when the cap was introduced?

I would hate to see a return of Wigan winning everything (have I gone mad???- you know what I mean!!) but I wonder whether that would happen now if the cap was removed. I think the profile of sport in general as an investment vehicle in this country has improved.

If the entrepreneurs thought they could invest freely its possible they might be more interested in turning smaller RL clubs with a sound fan base into bigger clubs and attract/retain the bigger name players. RL is definitly improving its general appeal I know a lot my of my "Essex Boy" mates tune in on a regular basis these days and it can't all be down to me promoting the game!

It does seem to me that RL is a sleeping giant which could awaken if the administration took a calculated risk.

Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Welski posted:

I would hate to see a return of Wigan winning everything (have I gone mad???- you know what I mean!!) but I wonder whether that would happen now if the cap was removed. I think the profile of sport in general as an investment vehicle in this country has improved.

If the entrepreneurs thought they could invest freely its possible they might be more interested in turning smaller RL clubs with a sound fan base into bigger clubs and attract/retain the bigger name players. RL is definitly improving its general appeal I know a lot my of my "Essex Boy" mates tune in on a regular basis these days and it can't all be down to me promoting the game!

It does seem to me that RL is a sleeping giant which could awaken if the administration took a calculated risk.

The cap was introduced for one reason years ago to stop clubs going bust through over spending, now Hetherington and the guy at Cas and whoever else want to use to strangle the top clubs to produce a more level field. I'd also like a more level field but at the same time I want Wigan to be as strong as possible. There have been points made about the strength of the national team with players going to union so remove the cap on home-grown players to keep them in league. Encourage the teams with no academy that get players that spill over from Wigan's youth to develop their own players. Set a proper qouta on non-British born players and set a limit on their wages (to increase inline with inflation each financial year).

I agree with you Welski, it would encourage sponsers to back clubs and develop the lesser clubs of the moment. Only worry would be it might become a money game like footy. I was brought up a footy fan rather than rugby but am fed up with it now cos of the money involved (and was awakened to RL).

I wouldn't mind seeing Wigan win everything but I'd want it to be competitive like you say or it just gets boring.
warriors

Post by warriors »

I dont like union overall, i prefer to watch an play league. I really really really wish that we could get jason Robinson back. But we no that he will not.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

We don't need him. We've got Radders at full back and Carney and Dallas on the wings. Suppose he would be suitable to fill in whilst we have this injury crisis! haha
warriors

Post by warriors »

Rob, have you sin him play. He will kick all the rest of the players arse. Well myb not Carney. Jason is a wicked player.