Noble comments on referees:

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Noble comments on referees:

Post by GeoffN »

http://www.wigantoday.net/warriors/Let- ... 3903218.jp

Brian Noble is worried that rugby league is going to end up like rugby union.
The Warriors boss is concerned that too many penalties are making the game too technical and that stop-start rugby is making the sport less attractive for the fans.

Rob, over to you... :roll:
cpwigan

Re: Noble comments on referees...

Post by cpwigan »

Why?, How? but the NRL games are far better. They flow. Less penalties and the ones that are awarded are for say grapples etc. I may be wrong but fear of suspension removes most of the dirty play and referees in the NRL seem to take the teams back further to open the game up rather than blow the whistle.
mickh

Post by mickh »

Good call,
But.
The NRL should be of no interest to us over here.
The discrepencies at the ten metre rule do seem over exposed early on in the match though over here, then, when one team has gained an advantage in the score, the referee then penalises the winning team to :-

a) even the penalty count, or
b) to give the losing team a chance to catch up (even though the winning team is usually more than one score ahead), the losing team, probably demoralised, think that their time has come to win the match but are so downbeat as to what has gone on before, they cannot catch up.
The end product?
An even penalty count, which says the referee controled the match fairly?
But more sinister, the money controlers (Sky Sports) saying what a great product they are putting out, and keeping the controversial commentators in a job?, whilst prostituting our great game.
Red Hall RL Headquarters is being run to suit the Aussie game and the Aussie paymasters, (why does Stevenson always refer to the ?great aussie game?)
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Brian Noble and every coach in SL has been in conference with Stuart Cummings about the offside rule and should be instructing all his players what is required .On two occasions against Bradford and today against Saints we have players sin binned today it killed us .No use blaming the refs if we are persistantly being penalalised it should be addressed at training .
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jaws1 wrote:Brian Noble and every coach in SL has been in conference with Stuart Cummings about the offside rule and should be instructing all his players what is required .On two occasions against Bradford and today against Saints we have players sin binned today it killed us .No use blaming the refs if we are persistantly being penalalised it should be addressed at training .
Noble has this to say about that (from the link):

He added: "All the coaching staff are trying to eradicate penalties on the practice pitch, but we put our house in order one week and then we're finding ourselves being penalised for different things the week after."

He saw you coming :wink:

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I truly believe winning the toss and receiving possession is vital. You get the ball and you get penalties early on. You get 1 you get more possession and more penalties. One team can virtually be without the ball in the first half.

My concern is this. The present RL product is awful. It is stop start, lots of dead time, no rugby. It's boring whether you receive or concede the penalties.
turf

Post by turf »

cpwigan posted:

One team can virtually be without the ball in the first half
Like us in the first half today when we incurred the wrath of Richard Silverwood! :angry:
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

DaveO wrote:
jaws1 wrote:Brian Noble and every coach in SL has been in conference with Stuart Cummings about the offside rule and should be instructing all his players what is required .On two occasions against Bradford and today against Saints we have players sin binned today it killed us .No use blaming the refs if we are persistantly being penalalised it should be addressed at training .
Noble has this to say about that (from the link):

He added: "All the coaching staff are trying to eradicate penalties on the practice pitch, but we put our house in order one week and then we're finding ourselves being penalised for different things the week after."

He saw you coming :wink:

Dave
Thats OK him saying that but we are still penalised for the offside rule and not standing square .
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jaws1 wrote:
Thats OK him saying that but we are still penalised for the offside rule and not standing square .
I agree. I think he is making excuses. If we keep getting trapped offside and we think we are 10m back we just have to stand 11m back. It might be an idea for our captain suggest his when the ref has told him we have been offside four times in a row :wink:

Dave
phibes

Post by phibes »

I don't understand how Noble can say we get our house in order on the training pitch - because we're consistently being penalised for offside offences and trying to slow down the PTB.

Silverwood was very pedantic yesterday but some of the penalties were legitimate because we couldn't handle the speed of the PTB.

What seemed suspicious to me was the relative lack of penalties in the second half. I don't think our offside and marker positioning was any better than the first half. It all smacks of a discrete word in Silverwood's ear - but by then the game was lost.