Style of play

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Woodentop07

Style of play

Post by Woodentop07 »

At the start of the Hull KR game we were spreading the ball and made the best start to a game for a long time. We looked a different side. I hope we stop with trying to bull doze teams and develop a wide game with dummy runners and offloads with players in support. I fear Leeds could tear us apart on saturday, our attack will pose them no threat.
Wigan til i die!!
mike binder

Re: Style of play

Post by mike binder »

we play 2 flat ,and to much 1 man rugby
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I agree with both the last posts.No second phase no dummy runners.Yet when you look at the team on paper weve got a half decent team.I keep saying to myself "they'll be better
next match" but it just does'nt improve.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

As Mike says flat line RL went out 3 or 4 years ago in the NRL. The Aussies now draw and pass draw and pass or use well practised set moves that involve second phase runners out wide. The idiocy is that give Trent 3 targets runnig into space out wide and he can find the right one better than anybody else in SL.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I must admit, that was a good start. We was utillizing dummy runners and using lockers into the space.

Ino it wont happen but imo it would really work well if lockers was 2nd row instead of bailey. At least when barret passes it to him behind a prop dummy runner, lockers will sometimes give it to the centres.

I just think its a lack of bailey not running through on his side. The fullback not coming in late enough and linking up with the ball handling. And barret being in at 1st reciever to much.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

the thing I dont like about us at the minute is the way our forwards just seem to do the complete opposite! We seem to be relying on the wingers and centres to take us forward. Yes maybe the first tackle to speed up the ruck but not every tackle which it seems to be at the minute. I also dont like this split half back stuff! Our halfs should be everywhere together but they seem to be the complete opposite! And guess what, when they where next to each other against hull Kr we played awesome rugby with all 3 trys coming from this situation! We need to have a bit more biff about us in the pack!
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
kris_roy

Post by kris_roy »

speaking of the pack and ino i might get sum stick for this but is anyone else continously frustrated with fielden? for the amount of money we played he's just not worth it anymore. for the price we payed for him we could get 2 decent props not neccesarily well known, but at least they would be able to share out the work and do the jobs. i mean the wakey game within one of the 1st couple of drives he took he got pushed back 20 metres when he's supposed to be fresh, not even thinking to take the tackle and get a quick play the ball to get momentum for the team
BORN WIGAN,
LIVE WIGAN,
DIE WIGAN!!!!!
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

kris_roy wrote:speaking of the pack and ino i might get sum stick for this but is anyone else continously frustrated with fielden? for the amount of money we played he's just not worth it anymore. for the price we payed for him we could get 2 decent props not neccesarily well known, but at least they would be able to share out the work and do the jobs. i mean the wakey game within one of the 1st couple of drives he took he got pushed back 20 metres when he's supposed to be fresh, not even thinking to take the tackle and get a quick play the ball to get momentum for the team
you can definately see the effort is there from fielden and he hasnt produced bad performances but he has been poor by his own high standards. And rightly so he gets criticised he has not performed to his best at wigan! But I think your pack depends on how good your hooker is, does anyone else realise the massive improvement in go forward when McIllorum is on the pitch?
ancient and loyal upon my chest

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

But still.
You dont have to have a world class hooker on the pitch to be a good forward.

Anybody could be at hooker, aslong as you time your run, hit the ball at pace about the gain line, dont run directly at a player your laughing.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fielden makes the life of his hooker very difficult as he often overruns the play of the ball.