Barrett to go - official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Barrett to go - official

Post by cpwigan »

cpwigan

Re: Trent linked with a return...

Post by cpwigan »

How much is Trent on? No Aussie club can match it.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

That article is about as good a quality as a WEP one.

There are no had facts and lots of "it is believed" sort of statements in there.

Journos looking for a story where there is none.

As to the top up payments Barrett supposedly gets from his old Aussie club, they were only for the duration of his old contract with them which I believe expired last season.

For those unaware of this, they did this because it cost them less to pay us a percentage of his wage as a top up to Barretts contract with Wigan than keep him on their books on full pay. Once his old contract passed its end-date the payments ceased.

Wigan need Barrett to see his contract tout as we have no obvious replacement who is ready and there are no other half backs on the market as far as I know remotely as good.

I also have to say the notion he wants to link up with Millward is very odd given he must know how Millward virtually ruined this clubs team at the time.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nobby`s Girl wrote:Yet anoother one..."ill go to England, play a few games, get the money then return home to finish off"

Dont we just love being used! :angry:
You don't actually believe this do you?

Have you forgotten the outrage express on here when Barrett missed out on the man of steel award? Do you think a player who is that good and who put that much effort in is "using" us?

You have a very short memory of do and are very fickle IMO.

I can see a bandwagon starting up here based on a poor article devoid of hard facts.

cpwigan asks how much is Barrett on? My guess is not as much as you might think as I recall Mo being quite pleased we got him "on the cheap" due to the top up payments.

Dave
Glynola

Post by Glynola »

It's a pretty shocking piece of journalism.

"it is believed" should give it away.

I don't really know what Barrett has done to upset Nobby's Girl, but may I suggest you re-watch the tapes from last year if you think we are being 'used'.

Barrett will see out his contract, hopefully next year in a stronger squad.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dave the web site is usually accurate
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

If he was to return down under, i would rather it be sooner than later
the_cow

Post by the_cow »

Am i missing something? Trent Barret is one of the best players i've seen pull on a Wigan jersey in recent years. He's bound to be on a shedload of money just to get him to come play for us- but there again I would rate him as one of the best 5 stand-offs in the world and at times last season we were a one man team.

Also, unless it's one big con to get a new contract, isn't the reason Piggy talking to us is due to Trent telling him to come? And before people start saying Riddell 'he's only coming for his fat retirement cheque' the guy is 26 (i think) and if Lenagham is true to his word then he doesn't seem the type to give out huge contracts to foreigners.
NOBLE OUT PLEASE- YOU'VE HAD TIME AND NOW MY PATIENCE HAS RUN OUT!

IT'S ONE THING TO LOSE, IT'S ANOTHER TO PLAY DIRE AND BORING RL AND THEN LOSE!
dannydutson

Post by dannydutson »

Can't believe what im reading. He is the best player we have had in years and just because he has a few quiet games people are on his back. He could have gone back to the nrl this year if he wanted to because Canberra offered him a contact and it was turned down. That was from a more reliable source than the article because it was on the nrl site. Im startin to see why other fans have a go at wiganers for always moaning, we have the best player in super league and we want to get rid of him
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

i agree with daveo i think that he wont go back, its just austrlia press which dont like their top stars coming over here, also barretts agent has said previously when linked with another nrl club a few weeks back that he is staying here and not going back.