Humble Pie: Wigan RLFC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Humble Pie: Wigan RLFC

Post by cpwigan »

Let me be the first to remove the egg from my face and take a huge slice of humble pie. I did not believe we could do it and the team did. Congrats.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Humble Pie: Wigan RLFC

Post by Mike »

And with a first half full of deep runners, second phase play and cross field passing moves!

Second half not so much though, but that is what we needed.

Fantastic defence!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

It was a cracking game, just hope we can carry on in the same vane. imagine if we had had a fully fit Hock and Prescott on the field, having Barrett out has done the team a wealth of good IMO, just hope Coyle gets some more game time in the coming weeks, he looks to be the business, he looked good linking up with Lulu, if it carries on i would move Lockers to 2nd row or bench, Barret to lock and keep Coyle & Lulu together, this will be the halfback combo for many years to come IMO
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I bet Medlocke was pleased tha Lockers was one of our few players to make numerous mistakes!! Only joking mate :wink:
I think it was an all round excellent team performance. I would just like to take this opportunity to reiterate a post that I made last week after the win against Wakefield and one that Phil Clarke spoke about in his post match analysis.
At this point of the season it is all about getting the defence in order and since our shambolic display against Stains, we have improved by 100% in defence, trust me the flashy rugby will come later in the year. We may play boring at this time of year and look like we can't be bothered but if we can win and grind out a win, it's the 2 points that are more important than the style in which we gain them.
I await to be shot down in flames by the doom mongers, the eternal pecimists and the 14,000 professional and experienced coaches that we have as fans of our beloved team. :)

trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

Well done the lads specially all the young uns who played out of their skins. I txt Nobbys Girl to tell her when there was 5mins to go. What a Win all i wanted was no scoring in second half from Leeds so was happy at the end.

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I did count 3 mistakes from Locky but he played an ok game tonight apart from when he run onto the ball at the line and knocked on, that where a defo try for Richards that went begging, but without Trent it looks like he is upping his game, he's falling of the tackles though
doc

Post by doc »

I did count 3 mistakes from Locky but he played an ok game tonight apart from when he run onto the ball at the line and knocked on,
Thought the ball came off a Leeds arm but would have to look at it a few times on video. That appears to be what Lockers was berating Ganson about.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

doc wrote:
I did count 3 mistakes from Locky but he played an ok game tonight apart from when he run onto the ball at the line and knocked on,
Thought the ball came off a Leeds arm but would have to look at it a few times on video. That appears to be what Lockers was berating Ganson about.
will have to watch the repeat later on, but either way if hedn't had shot out of the line it surely would have been a try, Pat & Carmont where not happy on the replay
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Na it was off Lockers. He thought it was his ball but the pass was probably ment for the two outside backs who were unmarked.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I thought Carl Giblet made a few shocking decisions in the game. Trying a little back handed pass to his winger and throwing it in touch, then with about 3 mins to go trying to force a pass with 3 or 4 defenders on him on only the 3rd tackle and withing 2 yards of the Wigan line.
Our defence was immense and really stood up to the Leeds forwards, in not one area of the game were we outplayed in terms of in the collision, tenacity or effort. This could be the start of our season. If you know what I mean, we have won ugly so far and this was one of the first games that we were using dummy runners etc. Fingers crossed anyway. :)