Catalan Reflections

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Catalan Reflections

Post by cpwigan »

Agony. First time I have seen Pat outkicked. Bosch kicked some crackers. Everything we all said about Cats came back to haunt us. It's not rocket science. When we were patient and used our brains we got what we deserved. A winning lead. We then let Cats back into the game and asked for what we got. Cats were/are better with ball in hand than us. Let them play on your line and they will convert into points.

Higham had his best game of the season. O'Carrol had his best game of the season. How sad is it that when he went off and very expensive props come back on the field things go pear shaped. Feka gave us great go forward but jeez he's a lazy defender bar one great hit. People can keep defending the Android that is Fielden but he still is our worst prop. Whatsmore, he's dumb and gives stupid penalties away playing the big I am. I thought Bailey, Tomkins and Lockers (sometimes) were good. Hansen seemed quiet. McIllorum was quiet. Coley solid bar that stupid penalty he conceded at half time.

Tommy Lu Lu when he takes responsibility is a dangerous player, when he runs the ball. He did okay again today. Thomas Coyle was exposed badly re his defence tonight. It is a weakness that has always been there in the Academy so wgt oh why have we not sorted it in 3 + years. We were far better on the left side than the right. To be expected I guess even though Carmont seemed to have a knock from the early stages. He still puts it in and Pat did well. Calderwood was either very good or awful no in between. Colbon tried I suppose. Mathers was decent.

We had the game and blew it for me against a team that plays a very simple discplined well planned game. Mogg was outstanding. They kicked better than us and were better with the ball butwe could have won it. Should have.
First Try Tickle

Re: Catalan Reflections

Post by First Try Tickle »

why did lulu kick it into touch on the 4th tackle on the half way line with 2 minutes to go ?

It should have gone long and we could have kept them on thier line.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

First Try Tickle wrote:why did lulu kick it into touch on the 4th tackle on the half way line with 2 minutes to go ?

Our kicking games was poor tonight. I though Lu Lu improved in the early stages of the second half kicking wise especially the short grubber kicks.

That option? I can only think he was desperate to find touch to kill time but even that does not make much sense. Very often if you pass it wide on the last tackle and then just grubber it from say centre seems to work well for teams. It does for Saints and Cats used it tonight.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

First Try Tickle wrote:why did lulu kick it into touch on the 4th tackle on the half way line with 2 minutes to go ?

was it the 4th? I thougth Klein had his hand up?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

GeoffN wrote:

was it the 4th? I thougth Klein had his hand up?
I did not notice anything at the time to make me think jeez why is hedoing that on the 4th. I thought we completed the set. Have to wait till others post I guess.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I thought lockers did some decent things tonight but all in one patch. Instead of taking drives more often etc. He did make a few stupid errors.

I think lu lu is realising that hes dangerous when he attacks the line and is improving.

Calderwood made some good yards tonight.

Feka in his first 5 minutes must have got through more runs and meters then fielden had in the previous 30.
Although i did see fielden a few times going mad because he had been missed out.
The players either had something on or just dont see the point in him taking a run,
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

nalataC
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Sorry peeps but im a bit fuzzeled. Not renewing my season ticket this year due to my wedding I got to pay for, I cant get to all the games. Iim finding so difficult to understand things this season. We are playing awful apart from the Leeds game ( but that was far from great ) how on earth are we still in our league position ? I guess it’s the old tale of win a game ugly or pretty, but win a game :conf:
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

x Wigan Warrior x wrote:Sorry peeps but im a bit fuzzeled. Not renewing my season ticket this year due to my wedding I got to pay for, I cant get to all the games. Iim finding so difficult to understand things this season. We are playing awful apart from the Leeds game ( but that was far from great ) how on earth are we still in our league position ? I guess it’s the old tale of win a game ugly or pretty, but win a game :conf:
Truth be told the quality all around SL is nothing special. You can grind wins out. The lads are working really hard, defending well most of the time but pretty woeful with the ball. Cats attack was far better than ours tonight. Best thing is the young lads are coming through. Worst thing is some of the experienced players are not pulling their weight.
cyberpieman

Post by cyberpieman »

at the end of the day it just shows that every team in SL can beat any other.

what I took away from tonight was that some of our squad still think of themselves as individuals, some of them are slipping back into complacency and arrogance (big fat hairy deal we beat Leeds - that was LAST WEEK!), some are as predictable as a plot in Corrie, and Ashley Klein is a crap ref too fond of his whistle.

On the positive, Lockers actually directed traffic for a change and didn't vanish when stuff went wrong, Lulu made some good runs (although MOM is pushing it) & Carmont & Richards bossed 'em about a bit.

not the end of the world, but galling nonetheless - especially as it seemed we were playing against 14 at times.