Who will fill Barretts Boots??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
02rinman

Who will fill Barretts Boots??

Post by 02rinman »

who would you like to see wearing the wigan number 6 next season?

my vote goes to Danny Mcguire
WIGAN WIGAN WIGAN!!!!!
wiggydoran

Re: Who will fill Barretts Boo...

Post by wiggydoran »

I think this is a bit mean starting this thread off before anything as been decided but there is only one name in my head at the moment who i would bring in:

Darren Lockyer- He is leaving broncos at the end of this season and wants to play in super league.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

wiggydoran wrote:I think this is a bit mean starting this thread off before anything as been decided but there is only one name in my head at the moment who i would bring in:

Darren Lockyer- He is leaving broncos at the end of this season and wants to play in super league.
Signing Lockyer would make us a bigger laughing stock than when Mo was signing players, the guy is past it and a serious injury worry, if you want to the club to take a backwards step so be it, i would like to see the club sign somebody who has got a long future in the game, we don't need to panic buy anymore, i'd like to see Jamie Rooney or some other young star fill his boots
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

He may be past it but we only need him for a season or two. We can use thomas coyle then. I think Thomas needs to play understudy for another seanson/ two to some one like Darren Lockyer.

Rooney ain't a bad shout. What about Bosc from Catalan?
Nine

Post by Nine »

Darren Lockyer, for me. The bloke is one of the all-time greats, all class. He's 31 now - but Trent is only a year younger and we were all hoping he'd stay on until the end of next season, weren't we? It's a bit early to write Lockyer off - he had to have a knee reconstruction last year but he's come back from that, is fit again and is playing for Australia (as captain).

He wouldn't be a long-term solution, but then neither was Trent. It always seemed to me the plan was to have a world-class stand-off aroun for three years to guide the team around the park and for our youngsters to learn off.

I think Sam Tomkins is more likely to be a longer-term solution than Tommy Coyle at 6, but he's only just turned 19. Sam has a lot of good attributes but he needs more time - and imagine how good he could be if he's had chance to learn off two of the modern-day greats by being with them in training day after day.

Lockyer on a 12-month or at most 2-year contract would be spot on. We'll certainly have plenty of money in the pot if Trent is going home.
Squad number 18!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Nine wrote:Darren Lockyer, for me. The bloke is one of the all-time greats, all class. He's 31 now - but Trent is only a year younger and we were all hoping he'd stay on until the end of next season, weren't we? It's a bit early to write Lockyer off - he had to have a knee reconstruction last year but he's come back from that, is fit again and is playing for Australia (as captain).

He wouldn't be a long-term solution, but then neither was Trent. It always seemed to me the plan was to have a world-class stand-off aroun for three years to guide the team around the park and for our youngsters to learn off.

I think Sam Tomkins is more likely to be a longer-term solution than Tommy Coyle at 6, but he's only just turned 19. Sam has a lot of good attributes but he needs more time - and imagine how good he could be if he's had chance to learn off two of the modern-day greats by being with them in training day after day.

Lockyer on a 12-month or at most 2-year contract would be spot on. We'll certainly have plenty of money in the pot if Trent is going home.

Totally agree with everything you say.

lockyer for 1-2 seasons then Sam Tomkins to take over.What a great way for Tomkins to learn his trade. First Barrett then Lockyer. get him signed
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nine wrote:Darren Lockyer, for me. The bloke is one of the all-time greats, all class. He's 31 now - but Trent is only a year younger and we were all hoping he'd stay on until the end of next season, weren't we? It's a bit early to write Lockyer off - he had to have a knee reconstruction last year but he's come back from that, is fit again and is playing for Australia (as captain).

Well its a case of needs must I think. Normally I would not want us to sign a player of that vintage no matter how good he has been in the past.

But with TB leaving I don't think we have a choice.

Our team is decidedly average without TB in the side and given we have signed up all bar Higham and Calders we simply can't have just a good solid player at 6 or we will remain at best a decidedly average team. We have no idea on attack as it is so without a quality replacement for TB the team would be going backwards.

The young lads are not ready and I can't think of any other quality players who are available.

As to money in the pot I'd expect us to have to spend all of TB's wage on the replacement. The players agents have us over a barrel.

Dave
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

i would get someone like rooney or bosc and get a someone like cooper from st geeoge.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:I just hope Leneghan wont rush into signing someone just to fill the spot that Baz leaves.
He doesn't really have a choice does he? We need a new 6 by Feb '09. He can't start looking next January.

Dave
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

We should spend all available money on Danny Cipriani. After all he reinvented Rugby Union by becoming in one match not only the greatest person to have played the game but also have to have lived so who knows what he could do in League.

Or perhaps I've just been reading too many English broadsheets and am turning into John Inverdale....that number six for Harlequins RL looked quite good against Cas on the BBC the other day