Worst fullback since Doc Murray

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Worst fullback since Doc Murray

Post by cpwigan »

People hammered young Ashton because he could not defend albeit he could score tries. They keep telling me Pat Richards is not a fullback and that pegleg is a better one. Somebody please tell me if he is not the worst fullback since Doc? Somebody explain to me why he is given an automatic place in this team especially when Pat had done so well at FB? Anybody notice, he returns, our form dips?
Brad5926

Re: Worst fullback since Doc M...

Post by Brad5926 »

I said this since the 1st game of the season when a harlequins player did the exact same and walked straight round him,(not that he is the worst since Doc Murray), but that he cant tackle
turf

Re: Worst fullback since Doc Murray

Post by turf »

Richard/Ashton 1 v 1 situations was (in Ashton's case) and always will be (in Richards case) 100 times better than Mathers.

In fact, those two playing on one leg would be better than Mathers. End of.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

turf wrote:Richard/Ashton 1 v 1 situations was (in Ashton's case) and always will be (in Richards case) 100 times better than Mathers.

In fact, those two playing on one leg would be better than Mathers. End of.
Agreed, plus at least Ashton offered much more of a threat in attack.
turf

Post by turf »

Ashton will always offer 100% more in attack AND defencde than Mathers EVER will do.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Have to agree; Mathers was terrible tonight - I hope that next season is an option on his contract

Why o why o why o why do we play a back three of Richards, Colbon and Mathers?

Calderwood is faster than any of them and yet is on the sidelines. Why not put Pat at fullback and Calderwood on the wing? Some people say his defence is a liability - well Mathers doesn't have any defence. Colbon offers nothing going forwards and (along with most of backline tonight) can't tackle.

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
topskin

Post by topskin »

give sam reay a chance the lad always gives 100% send mathers to doncaster bring him back
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Is it any wonder the players are so lacking in enthusiasm when Nobby treats them so unfairly? Calders must wonder what he has done that his face does not fit.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

im a firm believer that calderwood is no different to the majority of wigan players in defence. Average on his day.

Mathers had it at leeds but seriously my 16 year old mate is a better fullback.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
turf

Post by turf »

cpwigan wrote:Is it any wonder the players are so lacking in enthusiasm when Nobby ...........
Is coach?? Is the question that us fans should be asking