Does MM really work?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Does MM really work?

Post by cpwigan »

The RFL will say 5,000 increase on last year but so what. The overall attendances for that set of games if they were held at individual home venues would be far far greater. Yet, supposedly the MM figure is swelled by thousands of Welsh supporters.

A half empty stadium does not look good. Maybe those who go will tell me otherwise but the atmosphere does no look special. To me it resembles a P up.

The stadia is not fit for 3 matches in one day. The ground becomes unstable and the points scored in the third matches becomes silly.

The whole event reminds me of a pre season Wigan 7's tournament.
FROM A TO B

Re: Does MM really work?

Post by FROM A TO B »

The sooner Celtic get into SL, the sooner they will drop this event.
Looking likely that we are going to get 4 hidings this season from a team that we should only be playing twice in league matches :(
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

MM is one of the the most pointless ideas since the electronic tie rack.

We pay money to see our team at our ground, and they take one game, a derby game away from our home season ticket, it's terrible

Atmosphere is lost and derby games become into complete ebarssaments for the clubs involved and Rugby League as a whole.

If we were at home, it would have been a much tighter game. We were short of one player today.. They play number 18! Well done on the ones that did make the journey, heard the kenney song from kick off absolutely outstanding!

but doesnt get the same effect as it would at the JJB.

They say it's the best weekend for super league.. you look at the results and its the ones you dont expect to be good that ended up being the closer except for the Hull derby...

Bradford 26-40 Leed - Thrashing
Castleford 16-54 Wakefield - Thrashing
Wigan 16-57 St Helens - Thrashing

Huddersfield 34-36 Warrington - Tight
Catalans 18-16 Harlequins - Tight
Hull 17-22 Hull KR - Tight

Also.. The thrashings happended to those supposed to be playing at home, we're fans would have a great influence.
Cocks up the whole idea of having half the season at home and the other away. a disgrace of an idea

Also, in regards to the roof being left shut, i was absolutly shocked! It was bad enough for the Hull game but when there was fireworks for ours, and no one thought to open the roof, i was holding my head in shame for the abomination that has been round 13 of the engange super league.

The highlight of the weekend of rugby for me was when the Celtic coach said 'The coach will have to give them a right bollocking' about Cas.. God he got a right a bollocking ahah

P.S When's someone gonna take out Sean Long?

To be the best
you have to beat the best
jammie

Post by jammie »

i think that all our fans that did travel down to cardiff should be banging on the doors of the jjb on tuesday morning demanding there money back.that display was a disgrace to all wiganers and to all those great players that have ever pulled on that shirt and filled it with pride.bring back having to win to get your bonus or lose and go home with next to nothing like so many did before super league was born that should get the lazy buggers to play a bit.i don't think it is about the rugby that we are dragged down there i think it is a sort of financial thank you from the rfl for holding the cc finals there while rip off wembley was rebuilt,we should just have kept the cc final in cardiff and put mm where it belongs on the scrap heap.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Just been.

It is a sh*** idea.

You get there at 11am, for a Sunday nothing is open so you wander Cardiff waiting for an eatery to open.

If you are a family or dont drink alcohol, that rules out Pubs as there is nothing else to do... so you find yourself queueing for an hour to get into the ground.

Once in you wait an hour watching Keith Chegwin laugh at his own jokes and 15 men in suits run up a pitch for 'entertainment'

By the time the second match starts you are tired from waking up at 5am and having a 4 hour journey and boredom of the morning you get ideas about a long trip home at 8pm, from South Wales.

By the time your match starts at half 6, you want to go home.

By the time your match starts, the stadium is half empty as Hull fans go home as it';s 2 hours extra trip for them. It looks sh*** on telly and you feel sh*** also.

After being twice I felt the same as this, both years.

im not going next year.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i haven't been but it sure lacked atmosphere watching the empty rows of seats on tv.As for keeping the roof closed what a no brainer, why not get it played on an ice rink next year,there's another quimick for the RFL
Red Hot Mama

Post by Red Hot Mama »

We got back in the early hours of this morning. Our first time at MM. On the first day we sat in the front row but we were in the corner and most of the action in all games was at the opposite end of the field. Second day arrived at the gates for 1pm and despite tickets saying gates open at 1pm didnt open til 1.20 - stood in rain for 20 mins!!!! We sat half way back but in amongst the HKR fans. We saw even less than the previous day. People arriving for second game walking up and down steps. Couldn't see most of Catalans game. HKR fans stood up through most of their game - didn't see much of that. When Wigan came out the steps were still blocked by Hull/KR fans leaving and those that stayed were up and down steps again. Stewards who were very visible on the first day seemed to dissapear or ignore problems on the second day. This was then topped off by a non performance by our team. Very dubious as to whether we will go back again next year. I understand that to arrange an event like this must be extremely complicated but thats their business. They need to sort out the organisation. WIgan need to sort out their team!
Brian's Girl

OJ

Post by OJ »

Not for me it doesn't. Couldn't really get into any of it for some reason and one sided games are only really interesting if it is your side that is winning. Can't believe they are hailing it such a great success and I'm sure if someone were to take the trouble to tot up what normal attendances for derby matches would be it would be a hell of a lot more than ever went to Cardiff and even our own faithful may start to have second thoughts if we continue to go there and get humiliated, let's see there was the challenge cup in 2004, last years drubbing and then that yesterday that I can't quite find the words for at the moment, apart from going for a social weekend how many of us are going to keep going to see our noses rubbed in it like this. I know that isn't the be all and end all but it certainly matters. I wouldn't mind going to Murrayfield again, Cardiff is a nice enough place and the stadium is great but it's a pain in the backside to get to. Eddie Hemmings was talking to a welsh bloke about the attendance on Saturday night and the welshman said there were a lot more Welsh folks there this year, made me laugh cos he actually said last year there were 11 to 15 who came to watch and this year there were 15 to 20 which was a great increase - at the time I assumed he meant that many thousands but then again maybe not ..................... :blush:
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The RfL are thinking about Murrayfield or Dublin for 2009 as they believe the Welsh did not do enough to promote the weekend to encourage more Welsh people to attend the attendance only increased by about 3000 on last year.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

Belfast not Dublin..........we are a laughing stock our sport these days.