young sam tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
binxterboy

young sam tomkins

Post by binxterboy »

does any body have any idea when we might see young sam in a first team shirt, cos im sure he should get a start against haven, we should surely be blooding him by now.
♫ тнз ѕσчτн ѕтαиδ мαѕѕіνз ♪
cpwigan

Re: young sam tomkins

Post by cpwigan »

Not hopeful with Nobby as coach. One if you are not a muscle bound bouncer in appearance then Nobby does not like you. All the players he ignores are the opposite and his post match comment was ludicrous.
turf

Post by turf »

cpwigan wrote:Not hopeful with Nobby as coach. One if you are not a muscle bound bouncer in appearance then Nobby does not like you. All the players he ignores are the opposite and his post match comment was ludicrous.
The one about fixing humpty dumpty you mean cpwigan???
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No he said we maybe have to many young players in the team
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

cpwigan wrote:No he said we maybe have to many young players in the team
I am not defending Nobby as he has a lot to prove at Wigan, particularly in the transfer/signings dept. his signings have been 100% (Barrett 1 season the exception) awful.

But I cannot agree with you CPW constantly wanting to play our academy team. The youngsters will fail miserably enmasse, they always do!!

One or two of REAL quality would be ok, but you seem to name any and all from the academy as future superstars when in reality the academy has produced 3 or 4 decent (superleague) players in its history.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Doveoverdave wrote:
I am not defending Nobby as he has a lot to prove at Wigan, particularly in the transfer/signings dept. his signings have been 100% (Barrett 1 season the exception) awful.

But I cannot agree with you CPW constantly wanting to play our academy team. The youngsters will fail miserably enmasse, they always do!!

One or two of REAL quality would be ok, but you seem to name any and all from the academy as future superstars when in reality the academy has produced 3 or 4 decent (superleague) players in its history.

Nobby didn't sign Barrett, it was Millward
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

id play them...wed probably lose most or even all but at least they would play with pride and passion.........and all they childish losers from the forst team would have to turn out at Orrell every week!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

josie andrews wrote:
Doveoverdave wrote:

Nobby didn't sign Barrett, it was Millward

OK 100% awful
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Doveoverdave wrote: But I cannot agree with you CPW constantly wanting to play our academy team. The youngsters will fail miserably enmasse, they always do!!
So basically what you are saying is that the academy would get thrashed? - so how would that be any different to the senior team that capitulated last night? At least they might show some desire!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dave I do not want the whole academy team to be selected. However, there are occasions like matches v lower league clubs where they should be chosen in larger numbers.

Personally, I would suggest for a normal SL match we should play the following;

Full back - Richards
Wingers - 2 from Calderwood, Stanton, Ainscough
Centres - Carmont and Goulding or Pryce
Stand Off - Trent
Scrum Half - Tommy
Props - Coley, Feka, Prescott, O'Carrol, Kavanagh
Hooker - Higham or McIllorum
Second row Hock and Bailey or Hansen or Tomkins or Mossop
Loose Forward Hansen or Tomkins

Reserves

Lockers
S Tomkins (permanent reserve to be brought on as and when)

Now sorry but I do not see that as wholesale changes. Leeds and Saints blood more youngsters than we do. Moreover, if you read elsewhere you will realise what I say is our youngsters come to this club as good as any, they then stagnate and start going backwards because our club does not develop them.

Beyond those I have named. I only see Liam Farrel in 2 Years + as a potential backrower, Joe Mellor as a scrum half in 3 or 4 years time but not now and maybe not ever if he continues to be handled so ineptly. Likewise Ian Thornley. If I had a 16 year old son I would send them to Saints or Leeds before Wigan. That is how bad we have become. I would liken it to pre 1984 when our best juniors went elsewhere.

The current youngsters are being ruined. Joel Tomkins has so much ability it is untrue but he looks far from what he should be. Goulding stood up defensively to Israel Falau/Chris Lawerence/Mitchel Pearce 2 years ago. Hisdefence is going backwards against poorer players. On 3 occasions yesterday Trent sold these kids down the river with could not be bothered defence that was so so sad because he is an outstanding player but when he plays like he did you start to say what on earth is going on?