the new pitch

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
platt-warrior

the new pitch

Post by platt-warrior »

As i was leaving after the match i couldnt help noticing the diggers and bulldozers parked-up ready to start work on Saturday.I was chatting to a friend of mine who had spoken to the groundsman,he stated that they were only going to remove the first 8inches of soil to gain access to the faulty drains.So it beggers the question why is it going to take so long?
Sutty

Re: the new pitch

Post by Sutty »

Because the new soil will take time to settle, they can't just chuck a load of new soil down and use rollers to make it flat. Otherwise they will get what's called compaction and the grass roots will not be able to grow properly, it occurs quite often on golf courses where the greens get compacted and the grass starts to die off.

sudokuwarrior

Post by sudokuwarrior »

The last digger we saw arrive on a low loader looked rather large just to dig up eight inches of soil. It followed Mark Calderwood all the way down to the car park.
The futures Brett, The future's orange!!!

2007- A fan-tash-tic season!!!!!!!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I may be wrong but does'nt Old Trafford change their playing surface a couple of times a year?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Do you not think they maybe missed a bit of easy money selling part of the pitch off to Latics and Wigan Rugby fans?
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I'm sure your right CP,most unlike Mr Whelan to miss a business oportunity :blush:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

sudokuwarrior wrote:The last digger we saw arrive on a low loader looked rather large just to dig up eight inches of soil. It followed Mark Calderwood all the way down to the car park.
8 inches of soil over the whole of that area works out to abot 3,300 cubic metres! Add the rolled up turf to that, and you've got a big volume to shift! A decent sized swimming pool full, in fact!
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

cpwigan wrote:Do you not think they maybe missed a bit of easy money selling part of the pitch off to Latics and Wigan Rugby fans?
there keeping the top surface so i beleive its the underneath thats going
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

mike binder wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Do you not think they maybe missed a bit of easy money selling part of the pitch off to Latics and Wigan Rugby fans?
there keeping the top surface so i beleive its the underneath thats going
Will it not die very quickly Mike?