A Blessing In Disguise

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

A Blessing In Disguise

Post by Wigan Watcher »

A Blessing In Disguise

Well first of all and let me make this very clear, I’m sorry that Lockers has been injured and wish him a quick recovery..

Right after saying that.. I feel this is great news for Wigan as now we may be able to put a player in the 13 shirt that can actually play there. This is a good opportunity to move players around to find our best Loose-forward and maybe Barrett is the man, I would give it to Hock to be honest as he can use his hands far better than Lockers he also is a impact player who can brake the tackle unlike Lockers. The man can put his mark on this team and retain this jersey if he proves to Noble that he can hold his head and not make the silly mistake of giving penalties away unlike someone else, this is something he will struggle with. Hock is not or will not ever be captain of Wigan and rightly so. I can’t believe I’m saying this but the obvious chose is Richards

Anyway punch line is Lockers is out of the team and I’m very pleased to hear it but not in the way it has happened. I wish him every success elsewhere

phibes

Re: A Blessing In Disguise

Post by phibes »

I'd like to see Hock at loose forward too, but he plays out so wide in attack that he's almost doing that job already (to devastating effect on Friday). I think Barrett to 13 would have been the obvious choice (and bring in Sam Tomkins at stand-off) but with Joel Tomkins going so well, I wonder if he should be given the opportunity?

I think Noble being a conservative coach will stick Tomkins in at 13.

IMO we should look at putting Barrett there and making him captain - some might say he doesn't deserve it after some indifferent form this year and leaving the club early - I think it would be a good way of getting the best out of him while we still have him.
Glynola

Post by Glynola »

Wigan Watcher wrote:[ I wish him every success elsewhere
Why where is he going?

If you are thinking this injury somehow invalidates his new contract you are mistaken.

Locky's defense will be sorely missed for the period he is out.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Glynola wrote:
Why where is he going?

If you are thinking this injury somehow invalidates his new contract you are mistaken.

I agree his defence will be missed but his attack will not be because it simply does not exist.. A loose-forward who can’t attack it must be the new concept in rugby league

Dawn O

Post by Dawn O »

Wigan Watcher wrote:
Glynola wrote:
Why where is he going?

I agree his defence will be missed but his attack will not be because it simply does not exist.. A loose-forward who can’t attack it must be the new concept in rugby league
If you think this is a good thing then you are seriously deluded!!!

His defence kept us in the game on friday - this will be the Fletcher thing all over again,fans don't realise the amount of work he puts in until he doesn't play .
Dawn O

Post by Dawn O »

phibes wrote:I'd like to see Hock at loose forward too, but he plays out so wide in attack that he's almost doing that job already (to devastating effect on Friday). I think Barrett to 13 would have been the obvious choice (and bring in Sam Tomkins at stand-off) but with Joel Tomkins going so well, I wonder if he should be given the opportunity?

IMO we should look at putting Barrett there and making him captain - some might say he doesn't deserve it after some indifferent form this year and leaving the club early - I think it would be a good way of getting the best out of him while we still have him.
Last time he was captain his game went down the pan and eventually had the captaincy stripped off him at St'George
phibes

Post by phibes »

Dawn O wrote:
phibes wrote:I'd like to see Hock at loose forward too, but he plays out so wide in attack that he's almost doing that job already (to devastating effect on Friday). I think Barrett to 13 would have been the obvious choice (and bring in Sam Tomkins at stand-off) but with Joel Tomkins going so well, I wonder if he should be given the opportunity?

Last time he was captain his game went down the pan and eventually had the captaincy stripped off him at St'George
I've heard that too, but I still think he's the only senior member of the squad who has the necessary status (not Bailey or Fielden) and smarts (with all due respect, not Hock) and plays in a pivotal position to allow communication (not Richards).
right cross

Post by right cross »

there was talk pre season that barrett wanted to play at 13 ? i would say noble would draft another forward in for defensive purposes .
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Its obvious that lockers is used as a defensive loose forward and people are saying that we are going to miss his defence.

Why not stick hansen there instead ?
Best tackler on the team, smack bang in the middle of the pitch. That would be my shout.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dawn O

Post by Dawn O »

nathan_rugby wrote:Its obvious that lockers is used as a defensive loose forward and people are saying that we are going to miss his defence.

Why not stick hansen there instead ?
Best tackler on the team, smack bang in the middle of the pitch. That would be my shout
He hasn't been that great this season which is a shame, I suppose he has to do something about it now though