Warriors Land Phelps

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jolleymike

Warriors Land Phelps

Post by jolleymike »

Canterbury Bulldogs have released centre or winger Cameron Phelps to enable him to join Wigan.

The 23-year-old Phelps will make his final appearance for the Bulldogs at full-back in next Monday's NRL clash with Cronulla at ANZ Stadium before flying out to link up with the Warriors.

"Cameron has requested an opportunity to further his career overseas, which we were more than happy to assist with given the right circumstances," Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg told the club's website www.bulldogs.com.au.

"Cameron has been a tremendous servant to this club, coming through the local junior ranks and going on to make a significant contribution in the senior grades."

This is from the sporting life web page
luke_robinsons_angel

Re: Warriors Land Phelps

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

jolleymike wrote:Canterbury Bulldogs have released centre or winger Cameron Phelps to enable him to join Wigan.

The 23-year-old Phelps will make his final appearance for the Bulldogs at full-back in next Monday's NRL clash with Cronulla at ANZ Stadium before flying out to link up with the Warriors.

"Cameron has requested an opportunity to further his career overseas, which we were more than happy to assist with given the right circumstances," Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg told the club's website www.bulldogs.com.au.

"Cameron has been a tremendous servant to this club, coming through the local junior ranks and going on to make a significant contribution in the senior grades."

This is from the sporting life web page
nothing on our site,

does a new centre/winger spell the end for calderwood then?
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Correct me if i am wrong with Lockers being injured for 12 weeks didn;t the rules change after we had the horrendous season when Lockers and Hock were both out for the season.
Does Lockers pay not count on the salary cap [injured long term]does only his sick pay count?????????
If correct then his injury is paying for Phelps.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not impressed. He offers nothing that our young players cannot provide already. Calderwood is a far better player. I recently saw him play centre and his opposing centre beat him all ends up twice and he did nothing of note the entire match. We need top drawer quality not mediocrity.
Nine

Post by Nine »

jaws1 wrote:Correct me if i am wrong with Lockers being injured for 12 weeks didn;t the rules change after we had the horrendous season when Lockers and Hock were both out for the season.
Does Lockers pay not count on the salary cap [injured long term]does only his sick pay count?????????
If correct then his injury is paying for Phelps.
You can deregister them so they don't count towards the 20-25 limit but their pay remains on your salary cap.
Squad number 18!
wrighty13

Post by wrighty13 »

My money is on Calderwood being released sooner rather than at end of season
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

wrighty13 wrote:My money is on Calderwood being released sooner rather than at end of season
If they release Calderwood his pay will still count on the Salary cap,if they want yo release do it at the end of the season .Personally i would keep him and put Phelps alongside him .
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:Not impressed. He offers nothing that our young players cannot provide already. Calderwood is a far better player. I recently saw him play centre and his opposing centre beat him all ends up twice and he did nothing of note the entire match. We need top drawer quality not mediocrity.
I'm tempted to agree; although I haven't seen him play, his stats for Canterbury aren't that impressive, and he's never been a regular 1st team player for them.

Against that, presumably he won't be on a massive salary. We shall see.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He looks non descript physically Geoff.

If he is signed as a stand-off how does he equate to a replacement for Trent?

Outside backs. We have far better.

I just hope Trent can win us something this season because I fear we will be going backwards thereafter.