We can win the Grand Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

We can win the Grand Final

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I appreciate that the site pessimists will disagree, but, with my optimist hat on, if Leeds beat Saints in the Cup semi then I could see us coming second this year. Having done so, I think we would stand a good chance of beating Leeds at Old Trafford.
Here's how we could do it...

1 - comparing the games played with their equivalents last year we have picked up 3 extra wins, so are ahead of where we were. If we had not lost 4 points and had 6 extra points last year we would have been second, so the signs are that we are moving in the right direction;

2 - of our remaining games most of them are at home. Our most difficult home games look like Leeds twice and Saints once. However, we play Saints the week before the semi of the Cup, a game they usually rest players for, and first play Leeds the week before the final (again, ideal). We then play Leeds again at a point where they may well have won the Minor Premiership, so our motivation should be better than theirs. Given this, we could win all our home games;

3 - I assume we will lose away to Saints, but the other away games look winnable. Les Cats twice will be difficult, but my sense is that they have over-achieved so far. If we win one of the 2, I can see Cats dropping more points than us in the other games (eg against Leeds), and so we should be able to overhaul them;

4 - finishing ahead of Saints is the only way we can get to Old Trafford. The home game before the semi is vital, they have to go to Leeds but we need them to slip up elsewhere. Their form has been patchy enough for this to be a bit of a long shot, but only a bit of one;

5 - if we finish second, then we would go to Headingley, where we seem to have a 50:50 chance of success. If we win then we are at OT, and Leeds are likely to beat Saints at home. Lose and we are likely to play Saints at home (we'd be second favourites but we stand far more chance at the JJB than at their dump). Win that game and we get another crack at Leeds. Given how close we got at their place, we'd stand a good chance at a neutral venue.

Of course it requires a lot to work in our favour, but at worst each of the things that needs to happen is improbable. Finally, if Phelps is a success and Karl pryce comes back in time, our team could be a fair bit stronger by then...
FROM A TO B

Re: We can win the Grand Final

Post by FROM A TO B »

Sounds like a plan to me :thum:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

And to me!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

And me :)

Now we just need to get it to Nobby and the team :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

And me 3 :)

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

luke_robinsons_angel

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I appreciate that the site pessimists will disagree, but, with my optimist hat on, if Leeds beat Saints in the Cup semi then I could see us coming second this year. Having done so, I think we would stand a good chance of beating Leeds at Old Trafford.
Here's how we could do it...

1 - comparing the games played with their equivalents last year we have picked up 3 extra wins, so are ahead of where we were. If we had not lost 4 points and had 6 extra points last year we would have been second, so the signs are that we are moving in the right direction;

2 - of our remaining games most of them are at home. Our most difficult home games look like Leeds twice and Saints once. However, we play Saints the week before the semi of the Cup, a game they usually rest players for, and first play Leeds the week before the final (again, ideal). We then play Leeds again at a point where they may well have won the Minor Premiership, so our motivation should be better than theirs. Given this, we could win all our home games;

3 - I assume we will lose away to Saints, but the other away games look winnable. Les Cats twice will be difficult, but my sense is that they have over-achieved so far. If we win one of the 2, I can see Cats dropping more points than us in the other games (eg against Leeds), and so we should be able to overhaul them;

4 - finishing ahead of Saints is the only way we can get to Old Trafford. The home game before the semi is vital, they have to go to Leeds but we need them to slip up elsewhere. Their form has been patchy enough for this to be a bit of a long shot, but only a bit of one;

5 - if we finish second, then we would go to Headingley, where we seem to have a 50:50 chance of success. If we win then we are at OT, and Leeds are likely to beat Saints at home. Lose and we are likely to play Saints at home (we'd be second favourites but we stand far more chance at the JJB than at their dump). Win that game and we get another crack at Leeds. Given how close we got at their place, we'd stand a good chance at a neutral venue.

Of course it requires a lot to work in our favour, but at worst each of the things that needs to happen is improbable. Finally, if Phelps is a success and Karl pryce comes back in time, our team could be a fair bit stronger by then...
sack brian, i'll tell lenegan and lydon that we have discovered a new coach capable of taking us to and winning the grand final!

Sounds good to me.
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
Nine

Post by Nine »

I like the cut of your jib, sir! Count me in. :thum:

I also await Dave O's response in which he slices your post into many pieces and responds in detail to each one, explainign why you're wrong.......

And then responds to this one explaining how it's good "netiquette" to do so......

We love you, Dave O! :lol1:
Squad number 18!
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

I agree with what is written if things go according to PLAN we will the GF .
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Good plan, if any one has read the Wigan Observer then I agree with what Barrett said if Wigan had finished a few positions higher in the league last season they probably would have won the grand final.

Wigan must aim for second now if they get second place then they can put last years effort in the play-offs into just 2 games.

Wigan need consistency and have to make sure they don't drop points at places like Huddersfield which they have done in previous seasons.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

MrDave wrote:Good plan, if any one has read the Wigan Observer then I agree with what Barrett said if Wigan had finished a few positions higher in the league last season they probably would have won the grand final.

Wigan must aim for second now if they get second place then they can put last years effort in the play-offs into just 2 games.

Wigan need consistency and have to make sure they don't drop points at places like Huddersfield which they have done in previous seasons.
Aim for 2nd, we should be going for first. Bypass the moon and aim for the stars
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered