Williams - Dogs hung me out to dry

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Williams - Dogs hung me out to dry

Post by josie andrews »

SONNY Bill Williams has revealed his anger at being forced to admit to a drinking problem last year by his NRL club the Bulldogs.

The Kiwi backrower is unsettled at the Belmore club, reportedly seeking more money and respect from club management.

In an interview with New Zealand broadcaster TVNZ, Williams has told of the incident which help spark his initial discontent at the club.

Williams says he was made to front the media last year and
admit to an alcohol problem after a string of alcohol-fuelled incidents.

The backrower said former Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad forced an admission from him that he now says is false.

“I feel like I was hung out to dry,” Williams said. “I didn't want to go and speak to the media.

“I'm a friggin 20-year-old kid and the CEO says stand here and say that. What are you supposed to do?

“It's like you've been naughty and that's just the fastest way to make it right.

“I was very pissed off that I had to say I had a drinking problem because the only problem I had was being naive.”

Williams' management team met with the NRL club on Wednesday to discuss issues including a potential increase on his reported $525,000-a-year salary.

Williams said his loyalties lay with himself and his family and said he would “not sit here and be stupid” and not listen to offers that could see him leave the club.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
turf

Re: Williams - Dogs hung me out to dry

Post by turf »

Strong views from an angry young man there.

I think he shouldn't have been "hung out to dry". I think he should have been given a second chance to right his wrongs.