Yorkshire's Super League dominance knows no bounds .....

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Yorkshire's Super League dominance knows no bounds .....

Post by josie andrews »

The number of Yorkshire coaches in Super League is another example that the power base lies east of the Pennines
This intro comes with a heavy heart and through gritted teeth, but can anybody from the west of the Pennines any longer deny that Yorkshire is both the power base and the brains trust of British rugby league?

It's always been the former, ever since the Northern Union was formed in 1895 at Huddersfield's George Hotel – which now houses Mike Stephenson's superb Rugby League Heritage Museum, a collection fully deserving of this gratuitous plug, and more evidence of Yorkshire supremacy in all areas of the game.

Leeds has been the headquarters of the Rugby Football League for as long as I can remember, Leeds Metropolitan University seems to have its Carnegie brand affixed to at least half of the trophies currently on offer – while Engage, the Super League sponsor, is based in Harrogate.

On the field, a record seven of the 12 clubs in this season's Super League are from the east of the Pennines, while only three are from what used to be Lancashire - Wigan, Warrington and St Helens.

Will that be taken into account by the luckless souls who have to decide the clubs that merit a Super League licence from next year? Salford, in particular, must be hoping so, as Greater Manchester remains such a crucial battleground for the game, and their spectacular new stadium on the M60 would provide a once-in-a-lifetime chance of making a real impact.
full story below

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/ju ... ugbyleague
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
mike binder

Re: Yorkshire's Super League dominance knows no bounds .....

Post by mike binder »

3 teams from lancashire 2 from humberside 1 londaon 1 france and 5 from yorkshire in my books ,funny how hull and kr are in yorkshire when it suits statistics :wink:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
ancientnloyal

Re: Yorkshire's Super League d...

Post by ancientnloyal »

Technically, arent we Greater Manchester, Warrington Poor-Mans-Cheshire and Saints in Merseyside?

The Guardian is s**** simple as.

The fact that Engage are sponsors doent matter - so what? it doesnt make Yorkshire any better does it?

Leeds Uni are poor at other sports they feel it necessary to promote their university (still behind lancaster in greatness) comercially and partner up with the Whino's, Hetherington happy to get a little extra money for his black puddings. Any fool who knows their Uni is struggling to attract students can simply splash in £1 million into something people recognise.

Idiots.

1487 - Lancashire won.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
warriorwal

Post by warriorwal »

HEY HEY mike binder dont like that post i am a yorkshire warrior .
born and bred yorkshire
when I was born it was the east riding of yorkshire until some fool changed it but I still put e yorks and never stopped and 12 years ago it was changed back so please dont label us humbersiders very upsetting :angry:
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

Technically, arent we Greater Manchester, Warrington Poor-Mans-Cheshire and Saints in Merseyside?
Technically, yep. We are in Greater Manchester. But GM isn't recognised as a postal address... historically we are in Lancashire. I put Lancs on all address forms etc. All to do with 1972 boundary changes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Government_Act_1972

There's some pointless info for ya. :D
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

warriorwal wrote:HEY HEY mike binder dont like that post i am a yorkshire warrior .
born and bred yorkshire
when I was born it was the east riding of yorkshire until some fool changed it but I still put e yorks and never stopped and 12 years ago it was changed back so please dont label us humbersiders very upsetting :angry:
just my point humberside and not yorkshire ,cant see in my post were i offended any 1 if i did sorry wasnt supposed to :eh:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Lovely boundary changes! My old house used to be in Wigan, the boundary was 300ft from the back between Wigan and Bolton running along a hedgeline created especially for boundaries... then they shafted it across the road
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame