Charity Rugby match for Mike Gregory Trust

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ajsefc

Charity Rugby match for Mike Gregory Trust

Post by ajsefc »

Hey guys, 2 years ago a team was set up to play a charity match to raise money for the Mike Gregory trust. This year our game will be played on 12th July at Chorley Panthers ARLFC training ground, Chisnall Playing Fields, Coppull.

Every year we have few experienced players and the rest made up of newcomers like me and we play an amateur team.

Mikes family will be in attendance this year and there will be raffles and auctions etc.......... to raise money for Mikes Trust, woud be really good if we could get some of you supporting us.

I did my first ever RL training session yesterday and got battered - loved it........

Further info at http://www.chorleyspartans.co.uk/news.php
'I have a good stand up wash in that sink once a week'
GeoffN

Re: Charity Rugby match for Mi...

Post by GeoffN »

Edited to fix link, and I think we'll have this as a sticky until the match takes place.

For anyone who doesn't know the place, it's an excellent venue, with a very good pub, the Alison Arms, nearby.

Straight up (from Wigan) through Standish & Coppull Moor, turn left directly opposite the Alison, then right a little way along. Loads of car parking space.
ajsefc

Post by ajsefc »

Cheers Geoff, should be a great day
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

think the riversiders are doing some kind of sponsor or advrtisement of this nines will confirm
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
ajsefc

Post by ajsefc »

Nobby`s Girl wrote:need a winger??
Possibly, come along to training on Sunday :badg:
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

lol need a fat old water boy

ok then right cross will do it mmmmmmm what no mmmmmmmms
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Someone should get hold of Rob to referee it!
botica

Post by botica »

Come down for the full day! The game is being played at the end of day 1 of our annual festival of rugby league. Just hope the weather holds.. :D
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
Nine

Post by Nine »

We're going to be publicising it to the media and here is a preview of the press release which gives you details of when where and who is involved:
Rugby league has a new trophy - The Mike Gregory Challenge Cup. A specially formed Chorley Spartans side takes on a Latchford Albion Select XIII on 12th July, the first of what will now be annual charity games to battle it out for the cup, but more importantly raise funds in memory of the inspirational former Great Britain captain.

Mike’s widow Erica will be there and sons Sam and Ben will take turns to kick off, at the start and for the second half. Wigan Warriors chief executive and ex-player Joe Lydon will present the winners with the Mike Gregory Challenge Cup, which is sponsored by Wigan supporters club The Riversiders.

The game kicks off at 3pm at the Chorley Panthers’ ground: Chisnall Lane, off Preston Road, Coppull, Lancashire, just off the A49 opposite the Alison Arms pub. It is part of a great festival of rugby league that weekend – the Panthers’ summer tournament, with teams of all ages from all over the North West.

Spartans were formed last year from a mixture of raw recruits new to rugby league and players with some amateur experience. They raised £3,200 from a game against Latchford in summer 2007, hoping to help Mike in his fight against illness - a fight he sadly lost in November last year.

Gary Worthington, organiser of the Spartans team, said: “Team coach Dave Ibbison and myself had the honour of meeting the great man and his family just weeks before he passed away. To say our time with the Gregorys was inspirational is total understatement and left us with no doubt there had to be something we could do - so we decided to set up an annual benefit match in Mike’s name.”

The Mike Gregory Trust supported Mike through his illness and enabled him to remain at home, surrounded by his loving family. Since then it has given generous donations to Mike's two chosen charities - the Motor Neurone Disease Association and Embrace, a local charity helping people with disabilities. It continues to provide support to the two most important people in Mike's life, Sam and Ben – while Erica also wants some funds from the Spartans match to go to increasing awareness of Tick-borne diseases.

Erica Gregory said: “My family and I were delighted that another match was being held in Mike's memory. When something like this happens, it is another way of keeping Mike's memory alive and for the boys to realise what an amazing man their father was. I never cease to be amazed that people with busy lives and issues of their own, will take the time and trouble to arrange events of this sort,”
Squad number 18!
loyal

Post by loyal »

Wigan & Leigh college played Warrington Collegiate last year at Wigan St Pats so they're is now going to be 2 annual matches for the Mike Gregory Cup.
** THE BLOOD OF A WARRIOR RUNS THROUGH MY VEINS **