Franchise will be 14 teams - official

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ancientnloyal

Franchise will be 14 teams - official

Post by ancientnloyal »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 459782.stm
The Rugby Football League (RFL) has confirmed the Super League will expand from 12 to 14 clubs next season.

The plans were first announced in 2005, but there had been speculation that the RFL would stick to a 12-team roster.

However, RFL executive chairman Richard Lewis told the BBC that with television and sponsorship income increasing, now was the right time to make the change.

"I believe the sport is on the up and there are so many things that are going well," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Television income, sponsorship income and crowd figures - so much is going well.

I think the sport is ready to make that transition

RFL executive chairman Richard Lewis

"The international game is growing and it is probably as good a time as any for the sport to go to a 14-team Super League competition."

Salford, Widnes, Celtic Crusaders and Toulouse are among the teams hoping to be chosen when the two extra teams will be named next month.

Lewis insisted the change would not damage the National League, the division below Super League.

"I know the National League is a very strong competition and that will remain very strong even when Super league goes to 14," he said.

Super League's expansion had been in doubt late last year, with the RFL claiming it would only occur if there was a big increase in the £9 million annual sponsorship deal from Sky Television.

But the RFL signed an improved three-year deal to cover the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons last November which will see Sky show 29 Super League games per season, while the BBC continues to screen the Challenge Cup.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Re: Franchise will be 14 teams...

Post by ancientnloyal »

So let it start, we know now that the RFL is clear on a comfortable number of clubs they want in 2009 and I guess they have already made their decision...

until july, I reckon they will be informing their hierarchy and getting things in place for the announcement. So, 14 teams chosen... but who?

Definates:

Wigan
Saints
Leeds
Bradford
Hull
Warrington

No problems:

Hull KR
Harlequins
Catalans Dragons

Maybe:

Salford
Celtic Crusaders
Wakefield
Castleford

Wildcard:

Widnes

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

To be honest, I cannot see any of the current SL sides not being in, with the addition of Salford and probably Celtic in too.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

id rather have celtic c, salford and widnes over wakefield any day. wakefield have a decent team but the stadium is absolute garbage and not for me a super league standard unless they have stadium plans of whats going to happen.

anyone agree?
IN WANE WE TRUST
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I agree, Wakefield seem to be growing with regards their team towards a good top 6 team, especially with Kear and Brough... a Wembley appearance will cement this. Their major downfall is their stadium plans... leading off it their crowds which, despite some growth, is sitll poor.

I expect Castleford and Wakefield to take 1 place.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It depends whether the RFL want another French team or not - the scoring and licensing grading approach is about as fair as the CC quarter final was. The RFL will decide which teams they want - and then score the teams accordingly.

I would suspect that it will be all of the teams in SL plus Celtic Crusaders and either Salford or another French side. Most likely Salford will get the nod this time and then one of the smaller clubs will drop out after 3 years to make way for the next RFL pet side from France (which will probably include Lockyer!)

The scoring thing is a smokescreen - the RFL wants to expand and make money and if that means the inclusion of a foreign team at the expense of one with a great history (e.g. Widnes) then that is what they will do

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Just a thought when the new clubs are announced the new clubs will be scouting for players .The first thing they will do is put a circular out to the SL clubs to see if any players are available out of contract or otherwise .A certain Mr Fielden comes in mind okay the new club will not pay his full wages but Wigan could pay part of it.