Re: Should Noble go?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
FROM A TO B

Re: Should Noble go?

Post by FROM A TO B »

So, for the 19 that voted yes, do you still think the same?
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
cpwigan

Re: Should Noble go? ...

Post by cpwigan »

Yes
sma1ex

Post by sma1ex »

So people why should nobby go?? I personally think he should stay and dont know why his position is questioned
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well I voted wait until 2009 and that is still my view. I am not convinced but in the interests of stability (somewhat over-rated IMO !!) I will see what he does in 2009.

If we are as inconsistent next year as we have been this then you can guess which way I will be voting next year in a similar poll. He's had long enough already to sort this out IMO so if he can't next year....

There are other issues though not just on-field performances of the 1st 17 and team selection (which tend to dominate the discussions) but how the younger players are brought through or not as the case may be.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I have said elsewhere why. A brief summary.

Personally, I think most British RL coaches are limited and that the best coaches are Australian
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Yes
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

It's all very well wondering about the present coach or some of the present players, but the reality is that revolution rarely produces the goods and evolution usually does.
We once had the finest team in the game, but as players left, got past it etc. the inevitable fall from our once lofty perch followed. We went through a variety of coaches and only one inspired and gave us the dream again. Sadly it remains the case that the worst (injury) or illness ever to afflict Wigan Rugby League in living memory was the tragic fate of Mike Gregory. The instability that followed his illness, and the prolonged uncertainty at a time when Farrell and Radlinski and co were coming to the end of their careers was the real reason we aren't the force we once were.
So what now - a quick revolution with blood on the carpet because you don't get inspired by an individual player or our coach? Or perhaps instead an investment in the academy players, growth in the club and town and stability for a while? Sounds the better option by a million miles to me.
So, instead of whingeing about personnel we recognise where we are now and where we would have been if we hadn't signed Brian Noble and a few of the present team - praying for a "C" licence and a return to Super League.
Some of the people who write these blogs have short memories and no vision.
So let's get real, we've got the best British coach in the game (and a target for some Australian Clubs!), many world class players, a stadium most clubs would die for, a fan base that's only half a jump below its best and the best in the league. We are fourth in a very competitive league, and with a bit of luck may get higher. It's a far cry from two seasons ago. Let's not try to undermine the players and coach - it's not what's needed.
Stevethegas
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Definitely not,British coaches do a job with their hands tied behind their back.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

stevethegas wrote:It's all very well wondering about the present coach or some of the present players, but the reality is that revolution rarely produces the goods and evolution usually does.
We once had the finest team in the game, but as players left, got past it etc. the inevitable fall from our once lofty perch followed. We went through a variety of coaches and only one inspired and gave us the dream again. Sadly it remains the case that the worst (injury) or illness ever to afflict Wigan Rugby League in living memory was the tragic fate of Mike Gregory. The instability that followed his illness, and the prolonged uncertainty at a time when Farrell and Radlinski and co were coming to the end of their careers was the real reason we aren't the force we once were.
So what now - a quick revolution with blood on the carpet because you don't get inspired by an individual player or our coach? Or perhaps instead an investment in the academy players, growth in the club and town and stability for a while? Sounds the better option by a million miles to me.
So, instead of whingeing about personnel we recognise where we are now and where we would have been if we hadn't signed Brian Noble and a few of the present team - praying for a "C" licence and a return to Super League.
Some of the people who write these blogs have short memories and no vision.
So let's get real, we've got the best British coach in the game (and a target for some Australian Clubs!), many world class players, a stadium most clubs would die for, a fan base that's only half a jump below its best and the best in the league. We are fourth in a very competitive league, and with a bit of luck may get higher. It's a far cry from two seasons ago. Let's not try to undermine the players and coach - it's not what's needed.
Steve Nobby is not a target for NRL Clubs. Trust me they would not touch him with a bargepole.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

To get rid of Nobby now would totally stupid,there is no better British coach, and no better foreign coach available so what would be the point?Of course we could appoint Cullen,Harrison or Sharp and then we would be wishing Nobby was back.I am not saying for one minute that he is a Lowe or Monie but he has a habit of getting his sides right for the play offs,and i think we may well cause a surprise,although winning the GF is beyond us yet.