MAGIC WEEKEND MOVES TO EDINBURGH

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
fekasjockstrap

MAGIC WEEKEND MOVES TO EDINBURGH

Post by fekasjockstrap »

After all the debates following millenium magic this year, it seems the RFL have decided to take it on the road and have us on the road to edinburgh for next year.

I for one am dissapointed not to be going back to cardiff for a 3rd year, felt the whole setup there was spot on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 506027.stm
"On My Signal......Unleash Hell!"
highland convert

yea, great news, Trotski, Wigans coming north

Post by highland convert »

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=11134
Get your bagpipes warmed up, Trotski,
Jake

Re: yea, great news, Trotski, Wigans coming north

Post by Jake »

highland convert wrote: http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=11134
Looking forward to it H.C.where do you come from I'm from near Paisley but live near Wigan now for 40 years I love Wigan and the Wigan people,got my seat near the dugout.Good luck.
DaveO

Re: MAGIC WEEKEND MOVES TO EDINBURGH

Post by DaveO »

They have moved it because they were unhappy with the way the event was being supported in Wales by the stadium company I think.

I can't quite remember but I am sure there was something in the press about this a while back that they didn't feel their partners (i.e. whoever owns and runs the stadium) were doing enough to promote the event so I don't think its moving for entirely positive reasons.

Given Celtic Crusaders are applying for a franchise you would have thought if this event was to continue Wales was the place for it to encourage the locals to watch RL. I suspect there will be even less interest from the Scots.

I have never been to a MM weekend (I don't agree with the concept) but remember the cup final in Cardiff and the general atmosphere with people having a beer around the Castle and so on. Well I think in Edinburgh nothing like that will happen as drinking inside the stadium is banned as is drinking outside pubs in the street. I get the impression most who go do so for the social aspect as much as the games so if I am right with this it isn't going to be a success from that point of view.

I have read the fixtures will be drawn not the derbies we have seen so far and if correct that is an improvement from a fixture point of view (so we don't play Saints four times or three as it could be next season with the new clubs) but what it will do for crowds if the draw is known in advance is another matter.

This could go one of two ways. The novelty of a new ground and venue may encourage some people to go. Others may be disappointed enough not to make the trek. It's going to be interesting to see the crowd figures next year.

Dave

highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Jake wrote:
Looking forward to it H.C.where do you come from I'm from near Paisley but live near Wigan now for 40 years I love Wigan and the Wigan people,got my seat near the dugout.Good luck.
I'm bathgate now so just up the m8 from Edinburgh. Great venue for me. Hopefully handled correctly the fact Scotland are in the world cup will generate some interest as will the fifers. I am wondering if tickets will be availale through the warriors rather than RL. Oh and to allay fears Edinburgh certainly knows how to party. Look at the tattoo fringe, hogmanay etc. All they need is an excuse. Biggest problem is lack of action from the RL in helping to promote the game. Sky pratts don't help. Hours are spent prattling on about world cup England this England that. We are going too. Apart from Brough and Henderson being Scottish internationals we don@t get a mention. They are the ones locking the sport in yorks/lancs. Plenty of followers up here. Jim
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

highland convert wrote:
Jake wrote:
I'm bathgate now so just up the m8 from Edinburgh. Great venue for me. Hopefully handled correctly the fact Scotland are in the world cup will generate some interest as will the fifers. I am wondering if tickets will be availale through the warriors rather than RL. Oh and to allay fears Edinburgh certainly knows how to party. Look at the tattoo fringe, hogmanay etc. All they need is an excuse. Biggest problem is lack of action from the RL in helping to promote the game. Sky pratts don't help. Hours are spent prattling on about world cup England this England that. We are going too. Apart from Brough and Henderson being Scottish internationals we don@t get a mention. They are the ones locking the sport in yorks/lancs. Plenty of followers up here. Jim

I totally agree, sky do not help promote the game but prattle on about the game in france and in wales BUT we have a league set up in Scotland even if it only has about 8 teams in it, it is still played to a high standard But just not promoted enought.

As Dave O has said he has never been to a Millenium wk-end same as myself so we cant judge that. I can say i did like Cardiff for a cup final as i had a few great cup final days down there. Its about time the game came back upt north :lol: Bring your passport Mr MacBinder :lol:

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

ancientnloyal

Re: MAGIC WEEKEND MOVES TO EDI...

Post by ancientnloyal »

I am unsociable anyway dave so it wont affect me... maybe Danielle though.

Some driving times I found

Wigan (area) > Edinburgh: 202.19 miles, 325,4 km
Time: 3 h 47 min

Wigan (area) > Cardiff: 194.14 miles, 312,4 km
Time: 3 h 41 min

Wigan (area) > Quins: 213.82 miles, 344,1 km
Time: 3 h 41 min (for some reason)

Rac.co.uk
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

im gutted...

cardiff was perfect... :(
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

I also heard that the RFL were unhappy about how MM was promoted down in Wales. Been to Edinburgh on many occasions a really nice city, friendly place with no hassle. Hotels can be pretty expensive though if I remember rightly. Fresh venues and different places to visit should keep people interested.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Should have one in Paris for 2011
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame