Another to union

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
butt monkey

Re: Another to union

Post by butt monkey »

Matthew wrote: Prefer Wellens?
More to the point, are you Wellens?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

butt monkey wrote:
I was starting to wonder if Radlinski owed him money!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

Matthew wrote:
Doveoverdave wrote:
Lack of ambition? - If Radlinski lacked ambition he would never have made it as a RL player. He admitted himself he was not the most naturally gifted of players and had to work far harder than others

Not enough money? He was offered more money than he was on at Wigan - plus he would have played more internationals which run at about 4K a throw

Not confident he could play a foreign game? He would have been paid regardless and fullback in union is not that different to league

Body had enough and wearing out? still can always sign for my home town again!Going to union would have extended his career ala Farrell

I'll remain loyal to a club that paid me handsomely for my talents without having to travel more than 10 miles! and come back to play for free when they are adrift at the foot of the table and looking relegation in the facehe didn't play for free!
Take your pick.
That's none of them then.

What is DOD? Why are you so keen to be so dour about any player that starting playing for Wigan after they started their 8 in a row? Radlinski is one of the most likable players to ever pull on a Wigan shirt; who stayed after the club's glory period was well over and after many of the other stars were long gone

Do you dislike Rads as a person?
Think he's overated?
Think that unless you supported the team pre 1980 then you qualify as a band-wagon jumper or glory hunter and no nothing about Wigan?
Like playing devil's advocate?
Prefer Wellens?

Take your pick

however Radders will go down as a legend of the club and the game, read the timesonline about him good comments

and any bloke that turns down the scousers and plays as an amateur to try and earn a contract at wigan must love the club!

Yes he was well paid, but RL is a short career, cannot believe any wigan fan would dispute the contribution radders made to wigan!
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Matthew wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
I was starting to wonder if Radlinski owed him money!
Radlinski may not be everybodys idea of one of the World's best full back ever.......yet he could hardly ever be described as opposite that description.

I very much doubt that Wellens will be so highly regarded (outside stains that is), no matter how many GB shirts he has aquired. Lack of genuine competition has afforded him many chances, when he could possibly have been under greater pressure to perform at a higher level. Don't get me wrong, he is a good full back - not a great, with a simple ability to "beat the first tackle" his only strength - which he is rarely afforded in internationals.

Radders though, was chased by both the ARL and RU, so he must have at least interested those enough with his talent/effort/attitude.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

radlinski was a model proffesional, a great player and the sort of player you want at your club...

i dont have one bad thing at all to say to him...

i would like to see him at the club in the future as a coach in some capacity...

teach mathers how to tackle as rads was an expert...
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

shawcross da warrior wrote:radlinski was a model proffesional, a great player and the sort of player you want at your club...

i dont have one bad thing at all to say to him...

i would like to see him at the club in the future as a coach in some capacity...

teach mathers how to tackle as rads was an expert...
Me too I totally agree. I have never known a player as good as Rads in terms of last ditch tackles. You couldn't fault his ball handling or running ability and I fail to see why anyone who is a Wigan fan could possibly criticise one of the most committed and loyal players ever to wear a Wigan Shirt.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Matthew wrote:
Doveoverdave wrote:
Lack of ambition? - If Radlinski lacked ambition he would never have made it as a RL player. He admitted himself he was not the most naturally gifted of players and had to work far harder than others

Not enough money? He was offered more money than he was on at Wigan - plus he would have played more internationals which run at about 4K a throw

Not confident he could play a foreign game? He would have been paid regardless and fullback in union is not that different to league

Body had enough and wearing out? still can always sign for my home town again!Going to union would have extended his career ala Farrell

I'll remain loyal to a club that paid me handsomely for my talents without having to travel more than 10 miles! and come back to play for free when they are adrift at the foot of the table and looking relegation in the face

Take your pick.
That's none of them then.

What is DOD? Why are you so keen to be so dour about any player that starting playing for Wigan after they started their 8 in a row? Radlinski is one of the most likable players to ever pull on a Wigan shirt; who stayed after the club's glory period was well over and after many of the other stars were long gone

Do you dislike Rads as a person? NO
Think he's overated? NO
Think that unless you supported the team pre 1980 then you qualify as a band-wagon jumper or glory hunter and no nothing about Wigan? NO
Like playing devil's advocate?Mmmmmmm......
Prefer Wellens? NO

Take your pick
I have.

I will reiterate what I have posted previously about the spurious use of the word LOYALTY.

If a player of Rads talent would have been born in Whitehaven and not Wigan and signed for his local club. Would he have shown the same "loyalty?"

If your stuck the short answer is no.

He was a great player no doubt, but he was playing with a great side at the time, that just happened to be his local team.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Doveoverdave wrote:
I have.

I will reiterate what I have posted previously about the spurious use of the word LOYALTY.

If a player of Rads talent would have been born in Whitehaven and not Wigan and signed for his local club. Would he have shown the same "loyalty?"

If your stuck the short answer is no.

He was a great player no doubt, but he was playing with a great side at the time, that just happened to be his local team.
Of course Radlinski was "lucky" in that he was signed to his local club - which at the time was very successful. However I would have thought that he spent nearly as many trophyless seasons at Wigan as he did season where Wigan won something. Furthermore CC aside - last few seasons he spent at the club; Wigan weren't anywhere near the dominant force that they had been.

Bearing in mind how quickly the club discarded players when it looked like they had no future; (long being a prime example) I think that it is unlikely that Wigan kept Radlinski on because of loyalty to him.

When Radlinski realised that he would not be able to return from injury he retired mid season - so that the club could sign someone in his place. He then came out of retirement - risking serious injury in the process, to try and help save the club from relegation. How many other past players offered to do so? Did Farrell offer to break his contract with Saracens to come back?

You're hypothesizing over a scenario - I'm talking fact. Radlinski will be remembered as one of the greatest players Wigan ever had - not because he was technically the best player to ever lace boots for the club (even though he was a fantastic fullback) - but because of his commitment and unwavering loyalty to the club.

Of course, if you still think that I am wrong - then feel free to list any of the dozens of players (along with why) that you obviously think showed more loyalty to the Wigan club...
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

oh dear another star gone.
thankfully some players dont have the build for union.. i.e Hock..... that's about it lmao :conf:
To be the best
you have to beat the best
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Wigan weren't anywhere near the dominant force that they had been.
And neither was he the player he was. He should have been cut and the FB position gone to Briscoe. Admittedly a far inferior player but the succession would have been complete and the salary cap enhanced and we would not now be scuffling around for anybody to play FB, the weakest position now at the club.
Bearing in mind how quickly the club discarded players when it looked like they had no future; (long being a prime example)
The worst decision in a generation at Wigan to discard the finest half back for a decade. Once again the natural succesion of a key position was missed and we are still trying to fill the void.
When Radlinski realised that he would not be able to return from injury
But he did, didn't he? So was injury his prime motivation for going?
He then came out of retirement
He is to be commended on this offer.

However the fact that the club took up the offer just showed how far the club had fallen to depend on a once great player limp about on his broken body to help us.

Ye Gods, how poor must the team be, this decision held the club up to ridicule. It should have thanks but no thanks!
Did Farrell offer to break his contract with Saracens to come back?
No he didn't and a good job too 'cos he'd have been sued and would still have been unable to represent the club. Rads had no contract to break and if he had he would have been unable to fulfill his great gesture.