Carmont support play

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fitzy

Carmont support play

Post by fitzy »

Has anyone else noticed over the past couple of week's that George has started to follow feka round when he run's the ball in he scored a try from it against hull. I think we could perhaps do this with more players e.g. when hock comes back pair him with another player. Just a thought, was also wondering whether noble has told George to do this or whether he's realized he can score some try's through it himself.
ChrisA

Re: Carmont support play

Post by ChrisA »

More people need to do it, he has a very good offload and you see him every game looking for a guy running off his shoulder, and rarely is there one there.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Part of the problem is our system of play. The players are spread out far too much particularly in our own half. So hardly anybody is in a position to support the ball carrier. Lack of support is a big weakness in this current team. Supposedly in the modern game, it is the fullback who is meant to trail the forwards up the middle but we have not had that since Ashton left.
viva_seddo13

Post by viva_seddo13 »

Should be mathers job really :conf: but if hes not doing it its gud to see somebody trying

at the catalans game feka tried to offload nearly every carry and i cant remember him making an error
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

we shouldnt be restricted to one player supporting we should have all the backs supporting. Look at saints they support in numbers, not just one player supporting but the likes of wellens, gidley,talau,gardner and meli all support.

our centres,wingers,full back should be right up behind our props and second rowers.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

if you watch saints this is why they are so successful. there support play is second to none...

if they break they have a player in support either side, if a big guy breaks through, like fassavalu you will always see wellens bursting through eager for the ball...

he might not get it every time but he will get it most of the time and thats were they kill teams off...
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I think that George stands out because he always seems keen to support the ball carrier - he probably gets this from playing in the NRL! Other players do support the ball carrier; just not very often.

TL has done it more this season and more importantly has started attacking the line more of late.

Also Pat did it versus les cats for his 70 metre effort - so hopefully he will do it more from now on!

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

cpwigan wrote:Part of the problem is our system of play. The players are spread out far too much particularly in our own half. So hardly anybody is in a position to support the ball carrier. Lack of support is a big weakness in this current team. Supposedly in the modern game, it is the fullback who is meant to trail the forwards up the middle but we have not had that since Ashton left.
The difference in our player spacings was really apparent when Saints recently tonked us. In lots of Saints early plays they approached the play close and predatory pack-like before they spread out and that was the difference between their attack and our 'attack'. Combined with the way they can slow the ruck and play the ball down much more effectively than anyone else it's no suprise our attack was always muted.