Organised

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrsLam

Organised

Post by MrsLam »

Don't know if this has been said in another post,can't bear to read them at the mo.

Having heard so much about Cardiff and how it was such a bad place to get into, I was surprised yesterday at how easily we got there. When we got into Wales there were little brown rugby balls every few minutes, sign posting us to the park and ride car parks. "Red dragon fm" (is that the name of it?) was also giving out directions for the rugby crowds to avoid queues.

The park and ride itself was a success, the buses running every few minutes and dropping you off in the town centre, near an ice cream van hehe.

Then when you got into the centre, the security was there but not ruining peoples fun, there were people drinking on the street and chatting to each other and singing songs. Think the welsh got it spot on, if we'd have won Id say thanks for a great day :D

Easy to get there, safe and secure place to park (although no toilets!!!) a free bus ride there and back, THE ICE CREAM VAN ahem, and good security.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
walshiered

Re: Organised

Post by walshiered »

I totally agree about the Welsh getting it right, security was very low profile and as far as I am concerned they got it all right. :lol: I have E- mailed the stadium to thank the city for a great reception, pity we couldn't get it right on the day. Had to go to work and face Saints fans today. :badg:
MrsLam

Re: Organised

Post by MrsLam »

I wore me cherry and white proudly round Winstanley, with me likkle wigan keyring (ta rob!) and growled at saints fans.
Had to put up with my mate whos been very quiet for the last 2 years, texting me to say "we are the champions" and at the beginning "no try haha"

Fallen out with her for the next month!

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Mike
Site Admin

Security

Post by Mike »

You know two journalists tried to bomb us in the stadium at the final.

Check out this link for more info
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news ... _page.html

:cry: :butb:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
MrsLam

Re: Security

Post by MrsLam »

Doesnt sound good does it!
They were takig pointless things of people like plastic bottles at the beginning :S thought that was the only stupid thing about the day.

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

MrsLam posted:
Doesnt sound good does it!
They were takig pointless things of people like plastic bottles at the beginning :S thought that was the only stupid thing about the day.
I took a pair of shoes into the stadium, attached to my feet. Not once were my feet checked to make sure I wasn't smuggling in something like that now-famous shoe-bomber bloke the other year on a plane.

This article is typical media scare-mongering. Surely anyone in their right mind realises that if somewhere is a target then short of strip-searching everyone and banning us from taking anything at all inside then there's no way to make anywhere totally secure. My mother took a bag inside, which contained a match-day programme, her purse and a Kelvin doll. Kelvin is a very calm and peaceful gorilla, there was no chance of any violence from him no matter what the result so she was rightly allowed to take her bag inside. But what if Kelvin was not really a cute, cuddly toy but really a container full of nerve gas? Who could tell? No-one.

One thing's for sure, the atmosphere next weekend will be nothing like we enjoyed. Armed guards, segregation, Millwall fans... I'll have none of that thanks. I'm so glad our national sport is so civilised.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Cleveland Pieman

Post by Cleveland Pieman »

Agree 100%. How far do the stewards and police take it?
Lets not get excited about some journalists trying to make a name for themselves.

The level of security was in line with the level of threat. There will be some level of intelligence if anything was planned and the authorities would have reacted accordingly. These two journalists didnt try to take these items into Man Utds game at Old Trafford a few weeks ago when some intelligence did exist - because they wouldnt have succeeded in their attempt to scaremonger.

They have done this at the RL final because the threat did not exist. i wonder if they will try it at the FA cup next weekend and risk at weekend in custody - not likely.
gheinz

Post by gheinz »

I thought it was a great day the security was not 2 intimidating and the reception was great. Unfortunaqtly i got stuck in a train carriage full of Saints fans on the way home. Mind u cant complain they didnt give me n e hasstle.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Cleveland Pieman posted:
The level of security was in line with the level of threat. There will be some level of intelligence if anything was planned and the authorities would have reacted accordingly. These two journalists didnt try to take these items into Man Utds game at Old Trafford a few weeks ago when some intelligence did exist - because they wouldnt have succeeded in their attempt to scaremonger.

They have done this at the RL final because the threat did not exist. i wonder if they will try it at the FA cup next weekend and risk at weekend in custody - not likely.
The level of security was in line with what they expect from RL fans, however, you never know when you're going to get a Muslim extremist turning up to a big event that wants to kill as many Westerners as they can.

I agree these journalists did pick an easy time to pull their stunt, but it highlight even greater an area where terrorists could attack in the future. They aren't bothered if they kill Man United, Millwall, Wigan or Saints fans are they, they just want to kill as many as possible. People were walking in with rucksacks, carrier bags and allsorts, perhaps some sticter security checks should have been carried out.
Tickle's Warbabe

Post by Tickle's Warbabe »

Dont like Cardiff. A big stadium and lovely inside but took ages to get in. Our party had plastic bottles taken off us at the gate. However the lady did tell us all the water inside was fit to drink.
Waited in line at drinks desk for near on half an hour and then gave up. In fact left game during first half to get a drink and even then had to wait in line. Not organised, not enough toilets for the people at an event like that. Even when one of our party told this to a steward sat at a gate entrance he aggreed. Still unhappy with the whole day and very let down with the home coming as others have written on the message board. Been a fan since i was a baby its in the blood-the whole family has been fans since the begining of time. But the certain sparkle has gone. We need good players. I know the players are young and got to learn and at the moment that is all i hear, its a learning curve and in a few years they will be great. Just like Robinson hey were ever he goes. We need big strong committed players. More Newtons please. My Mum picked her dream team for the CC for Wigan and we had top players in the line up-Edwards, Gill, Martin O, to name a few. Why have times changed so much from us being the team to beat?. Please some one help me out here could i be turning to football,haha. :blush: