JJB stadium the facts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

JJB stadium the facts

Post by jaws1 »

These are the true facts of the JJB from planning stage to ownership
The Council owns the land The Council granted a 99 year lease to Wigan Football Company LTD(Trding as the JJB stadium)for the use of the at Robin Park comprising the JJB Stadium and Ssurrounds from the 4th August 1999.The lease remains in place and specifies that the Stadium be made available for all the home fixtures of Wigan Athletic Football Club LTD and Wigan Football Club(Wigan Warriors)
Who owns the Stadium
85%of the shares of Wigan Football Company LTD are owned by Whelco Holdings [a company controlled by Dave Whelan and his family]and 15%by the Council. The Council has the reight to to appoint a Director-currently David Smith,executive Director of Business Support Services,although the Chairman of the Board Mr Whelan has yet to call a formal meeting of the directors and takes all the key decisions
Two 25 year licenses were granted by Wigan Football Company LTD to Wigan Athletic FC and to Wigan Football Club LTD.Both clubs are required to work with their respective governing bodies to ensure that there is no clash of fixtures.The agreement with the clubs provides that "The Company [ie the Stadium company ]shall be entitled in its absolute discretion in the event of a conflict of fixtures whether the Club shall be entitled to [u]use the Stadium on any particular MATCH day"
Planning application
[/u]
The planning permission was granted for a 25.000 seater stadium ,carparksand ancillary features.There are no specific conditions in the grant of the planning application that refer to dual use.In the committe report reference is made to to then plan to bring OrrellRUFC and Wigan Athletic to the new stadium .Subsequently plans changed ,but this di not require a revised planning application.
Public access to planning application
The application was conducted in Public
Debates for commercial parts of the transaction were held in private ,but the minutes recording of the decisions were made public.District Audit [the Councils External Auditors ]and the Valuation Office Agency were involved in independently scrutinising and verifing financial and valuation aspects of the transactions.
How was the Stadium funded
Whelco Holdings provided the initial £25.5 milion to construct the Stadium and Whelco has provided a further £6 million in loan capitol to undertake further works suach as the hospitality facilities in the North,East and South stands .English partnership provided grant funding of some £990.000 to relocate the storm water tanks located under what what is now the East Stand of the stadium to their present position between the canal and the River Douglas .No Council money was provided.
DaveO

Re: JJB stadium the facts

Post by DaveO »

jaws1 wrote:These are the true facts of the JJB from planning stage to ownership

The Council owns the land The Council granted a 99 year lease to Wigan Football Company LTD(Trding as the JJB stadium)for the use of the at Robin Park comprising the JJB Stadium and Ssurrounds from the 4th August 1999.The lease remains in place and specifies that the Stadium be made available for all the home fixtures of Wigan Athletic Football Club LTD and Wigan Football Club(Wigan Warriors)
Who owns the Stadium

Two 25 year licenses were granted by Wigan Football Company LTD to Wigan Athletic FC and to Wigan Football Club LTD.Both clubs are required to work with their respective governing bodies to ensure that there is no clash of fixtures.The agreement with the clubs provides that "The Company [ie the Stadium company ]shall be entitled in its absolute discretion in the event of a conflict of fixtures whether the Club shall be entitled to [u]use the Stadium on any particular day"

Well I owuld have thought the bits I highlighted in bold would be enough t ensure that if Wigan RL want to play a game on a Friday and Latics on a Saturday it should be allowed.

First of all the lease says the stadium be made available for "all" home fixtures. The stadium company are in breech of the lease it seems by refusing to allow the home play-off game.

Secondly one team playing Friday and the other Saturday does not represent a "conflict of fixtures" so there is no need for the stadium company (and it seems to me no right) to make a ruling.

Both these clauses suggest there were no grounds (pardon the pun)for that game not to go ahead and the same applies to good Friday.

However I am pretty sure we will be playing Easter Monday instead so it appears no challenge is going to be made to the stadium company or Whelan despite what you have found in the documents.

Dave

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Two 25 year licenses were granted by Wigan Football Company LTD to Wigan Athletic FC and to Wigan Football Club LTD.Both clubs are required to work with their respective governing bodies to ensure that there is no clash of fixtures.The agreement with the clubs provides that "The Company [ie the stadium company ]shall be entitled in its absolute discretion in the event of a conflict of fixtures whether the Club shall be entitled to [u]use the Stadium on any particular day"
Planning application

Thought this in bold would have more significense its about time Whelan and IL got together round the table and worked a formula out between them and the FA and RL so we dont have a clash of fixtures.
Having said that Rule 4 of the FA regarding ground sharing the Football team have preference .Surely this modern age with all the technology and a bit of common sense between the clubs i am sure this could be resolved quite easily.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Just to put every body in the picture as we had to give up home advantage and play at Widnes i contacted Brian Simpson MEP for Wigan who is an avid Wigan Warriors fan .
I asked the questions from the first posting he contacted the Chief exec of Wigan Council and the posting was her reply to my questions.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Thanks Jaws for publishing the letter of reply from the Chief Executive Joyce Redfern regarding Mr Simpsons questions about the ground.

:)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Josie i had confirmation from Brian SimpsonMEP that i could publish the letter as it was public information thats why i was holding back.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jaws1 wrote:Josie i had confirmation from Brian SimpsonMEP that i could publish the letter as it was public information thats why i was holding back.
I wasn't sure of the reason but I never let on that you had informed me :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

josie andrews wrote:
jaws1 wrote:Josie i had confirmation from Brian SimpsonMEP that i could publish the letter as it was public information thats why i was holding back.
I wasn't sure of the reason but I never let on that you had informed me :)
Knew that Josie and CP would not publish the letter got confirmation of MIKE as its his site to publish when he knew the facts.
warrior4ever25

Post by warrior4ever25 »

jaws i also had a copy of this letter ,it is now in the hands of the right people
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Just gone through the post again i ommitted a very important word out

The Company [ie the stadium company ]shall be entitled in its absolute discretion in the event of a conflict of fixtures whether the Club shall be entitled to [u]use the Stadium on any particular MATCH day

Does Wigan Warriors playing Friday and Wigan Athletic playing Saturday breach this agrrement IMHO i dont think we dont.