To Mods

Information and Rules for new message board users, plus FAQs for many common topics. Check here to see if your question has already been answered before posting on other forums.
Mike
Site Admin

To Mods

Post by Mike »

Hi all

I've found the time to make some changes this morning to give us a little more security.

They are as follows:

1. A new user need to get 50 posts on the message board before they can send PMs.

2. When you edit a user you now have a link that lets you see all of their forum posts (similar to the View topics with my posts at the top of the forums pages). It will open in a new window.

3. You can also see how many posts the user has made in the various areas of the site - i.e. forum posts, PMs etc.

4. There is a link that you can use to add the user to a block list which will block their account and stop them from re-registering.

5. The most extreme option is available for User Administrators. At the bottom of the page is a button to delete all the content of a particular type for a user. For example you select "View" and hit "Delete All Content" and you will wipe all forum posts for that user from the database. This is not undoable(!). To delete all PMs sent by a user, just pick Privatemessage from the drop down list of types.

Hopefully this will allow us to spend less time fighting idiots like the one we just had. Its all the same person BTW.

Mike
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Sutty

Re: To Mods

Post by Sutty »

Excellent work as usual Mike.
My only concern is that because you have published that the trolls need to reach 50 posts before they can PM someone, some of them may flood the message boards with drivel just to reach that mark.

I'm confident that the mods will be able to keep on topof this, but it won't stop the little blighters from trying.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Hmm. You may be right. I need some sort of system that will allow the mods to grant users PM permissions. Its a shame, because it is just one person.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Mike

obviously you have these peoples e mail addresses why do we not ask the true fans here to bombard there e amil addresses with drivel like they have been doing

then again we are the intelligent ones and they are just neandrathal trolls

Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It is counter productive in the end. There emails have been posted on another thread though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

USer blocking has been made more general now and IP logging is working correctly, so we can get far more info about Trolls from now on.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Sutty wrote:Excellent work as usual Mike.
My only concern is that because you have published that the trolls need to reach 50 posts before they can PM someone, some of them may flood the message boards with drivel just to reach that mark.

I'm confident that the mods will be able to keep on topof this, but it won't stop the little blighters from trying.
I think the change Mike has made mean it is very quick for the mods to sort these idiots out. It is going to take the troll more effort to spam the board than it will us to clean it up.

I had a PM of the idiot this morning asking if I was busy well I won't be as busy as him from now on!

I must have blocked nearly a dozen users and a few hundred posts today from about 8:30 in the morning but the last time I did this I was able to select all the users posts in the general rl forum and delete the lot in one go.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Thanks for the update.
Only thing we can ask if for users to let one of the mods know as soon as possible if there is a troll lurking and not to respond to their posts or PM's.
I know it's hard not to, but they thrive on getting the reaction, so if you ignore (but PM the mods), we can soon remove them
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Bear

Post by Bear »

What happened, ive ben away for a while
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Bear wrote:What happened, ive ben away for a while
A sad latics troll spammed the board by starting thread after thread (and spammed users via PM) creating multiple accounts to do so. Unless you were on-line when he was around you would not have got one of his PM attacks as he picked users who were on-line.

I spent half this morning deleting rubbish. Just as well I am err... "working" at home at the moment!

Dave