Riddell has "explosive pace".

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Riddell has "explosive pace".

Post by GeoffN »

Snippet from today's WEP...

Noble added: "Riddell has a good kicking and passing game and explosive pace
:eh:
First Try Tickle

Re: Riddell has "explosive pace".

Post by First Try Tickle »

Don't think we can really start to call Riddell after one game, the pitch was very heavy after the recent weather and a footy game the day before and the weather on the day wouldn't have helped.

I remember every having a go at trent in his first match in the snow and he said he needed a better surface.

Riddell looked a different player at Warrington on Boxing day, he looked sharp and fast of the mark.

We need to show a bit of support for the new guys, not just give up after 1 game. People wanted Trent out earlier in his 1st season, then were shouting for man of steel at the end.

I do agree we need a hooker to sub him though. Putting tommy there is just killing any game plan.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:Don't think we can really start to call Riddell after one game, the pitch was very heavy after the recent weather and a footy game the day before and the weather on the day wouldn't have helped.

I remember every having a go at trent in his first match in the snow and he said he needed a better surface.

Riddell looked a different player at Warrington on Boxing day, he looked sharp and fast of the mark.

We need to show a bit of support for the new guys, not just give up after 1 game. People wanted Trent out earlier in his 1st season, then were shouting for man of steel at the end.

I do agree we need a hooker to sub him though. Putting tommy there is just killing any game plan.
I agree. Too early to tell and we can only hope he does have more to his game like some pace than he showed on Sunday. He was outplayed by Drew who looked ten times sharper and at least twice as quick - in the same conditions.

Dave

OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

ok i agree

the guy was good in Aus

so i will now give him a chance to prove himself

still a big mistake to let Mickey go
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

But Drew is used to the condition, as he's been playing in Yorkshire for years. Riddell needs to adjust, we'll all be singing when he runs rings round KC at Easter.

Always remember trents interview after his first match, when asked if he'd ever played in snow before. "played in it, I've never even seen snow before"

It must have an effect on your game, especially if you use a side step in your game.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Trents first game after a long injury though
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:But Drew is used to the condition, as he's been playing in Yorkshire for years. Riddell needs to adjust, we'll all be singing when he runs rings round KC at Easter.
I always think new players will need to adjust to a new teams style of play and get on the same wavelength as their team mates but I have always thought "having to adjust" when the problem is they look slow and unfit a poor excuse. Players like Riddell are experienced pro players and it isn't acceptable to take a long time to get up to speed. First game OK I will let him off but he needs to be taking an influential part at least by the time of the Cas game IMO. If he takes half a season to adjust that is poor IMO.

Dave
the_cow

Post by the_cow »

Just give him time! He looked good from what I saw at Wire and read elsewhere- Terry Newton didn't have any explosive pace either, yet people loved him and rated him highly. Piggy seems to be a 'passing' hooker rather than a scooter like Roby and Diskin- if he gets the passes out accurately then so be it- this is where Higham struggled. We could do with a fast hooker on the bench to compliment Piggy, but due to no fault of his own, we don't!
NOBLE OUT PLEASE- YOU'VE HAD TIME AND NOW MY PATIENCE HAS RUN OUT!

IT'S ONE THING TO LOSE, IT'S ANOTHER TO PLAY DIRE AND BORING RL AND THEN LOSE!
markill

Post by markill »

the_cow wrote:Just give him time! He looked good from what I saw at Wire and read elsewhere- Terry Newton didn't have any explosive pace either, yet people loved him and rated him highly. Piggy seems to be a 'passing' hooker rather than a scooter like Roby and Diskin- if he gets the passes out accurately then so be it- this is where Higham struggled. We could do with a fast hooker on the bench to compliment Piggy, but due to no fault of his own, we don't!
yeah, and you were loving him on sunday, i'm sure you said he was our best player in the first half. I don't agree. I think given better conditions and greater familiarity with his team-mates...and maybe a few set moves here and there!...we'll all be saying how great he is just like we did with newton. however, he needs to speed up the ruck area and pass the ball out quicker, as do the rest of them, but the play and tone will be set by how fast and accurately he gets the ball out.

my favourite thing about newton was the quality of distribution close to the opponents line and from what i know of riddel he has similar qualities, and if the second rowers don't drop so many chances he'll put them through plenty of gaps in the opposition 20 i'm sure.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

I know I stook up for Tommy L playing in scrum half instead of Hooker but when we scored our try he was playing hooker and it was the speed from dummy half that we got from Micky H last year that was the cause of the trouble for Wakefield. IF he has speed thats what he has to do othwise we will see performances from like that this season