Noble has lost the plot

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrDave

Noble has lost the plot

Post by MrDave »

Forget about his boring approach to rugby league because on the Super League show today Brian Noble was sharing his thoughts on how to improve England fortunes against Australians in future years, was it;

1) More funding for academy players - nope
2) Reducing the number of overseas players - nope
3) Playing more international matches - nope

Brian Noble thinks the best thing Rugby League can do is to create a new quota for Super League teams allowing them to a sign one Rugby Union player. His solution to Englands disappointing performance in the World Cup is to replace all the players with rugby union players.

I you haven't seen the interview it is on the Super League show available on BBC iplayer. I thought it was a joke at first but I think he might have been serious :conf:
superleague

Re: Noble has lost the plot

Post by superleague »

I saw it and thought the exact same thing HES LOST THE PLOT!
God help wigan rugby league :(
RJ

Post by RJ »

I watched this and thought much the same. How the hell he expects to attract top class RU players to league is beyond me in view of the sort of money these guys attract but even if you could I fail to see what benefit they could be to league anyway. We should be promoting our talented young home grown players into the teams IMO and I'm afraid Mr Noble seems not to favour promoting young players on the basis that they are not 'big enough' or mature enough. Strange that the NRL manage it and some of our other superleague teams have youngsters coming through on a regular basis. Ours don't seem to get the opportunity.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I have not seen the interview but have read similar reactions on rlfans.

Correct me if I am wrong but did he not suggest only 50% of an RU internationals wages should count on the salary cap?

If so he really has lost it. In comes an RU player who has never played the game and gets paid £300K (which is the sort of figure you would need to band about to have a hope of getting one) but only £150K counts on the cap.

Meanwhile players like Peacock and his contemporaries who have played the game all their lives and have reached the top of the game can't be paid £300K because it all counts on the cap. So they have to settle for £150 meaning £150K.

Can Noble not see how divisive that would be? It also says we value RU players more than those we produce ourselves. What a joke.

Dave
OJ

Post by OJ »

I fear the funny farm awaits you Mr Noble after seeing that interview! Can't just think who the 2 journalists were that were interviewed - one agreed with him and the other one had a brain and said it was a total non starter
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Plenty of Wigan youngsters get chances to play Superleague, unfortunately it's always for other teams!!
The Superleague show today was praising Huddersfield for having 10 players in the cCatalans game eligible for home nation international duty through their improving academy system. Don't make me laugh. At least 5 of them are products of the Wigan Acadamy
Robinson, Brown, Aspinwall, Hodgson and Wild
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
pedro

Post by pedro »

Hodgson was bought from Halifax
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

pedro wrote:Hodgson was bought from Halifax
Fair enough, still a whole lot of Wigan coaching time and effort in that team.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
pedro

Post by pedro »

aye i agree
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

I can see where he is coming from though, after all the England kick and clap team are playing really well and any of those players would certainly add a great deal to a fast flowing game where tactics include passing the ball backwards :eusa4:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered