Two referees: thoughts?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
GeoffN

Two referees: thoughts?

Post by GeoffN »

http://www.skysports.com/experts/expert ... 53,00.html
For the first time, the game will be played with two referees in the field of play. At the moment, this is only in the NRL competition in Australia...
I like the idea, if only to reduce those occasions when the officials miss things.

My only concern would be that it might lead to more stoppages in play, as more offences are spotted - a bit like the NFL, where very few officiating errors happen, but play stops too often.

THE 18th Man

Re: Two referees: thoughts?

Post by THE 18th Man »

why not have one linesman watch the ten metre line, one linesman watching the play of the ball and the onfield ref watching over things
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

THE 18th Man wrote:why not have one linesman watch the ten metre line, one linesman watching the play of the ball and the onfield ref watching over things
We do.

Depends, like Geoff says, whether you want more stoppages in play. Refs let minor things slide for the benefit of a more flowing game.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz wrote:
THE 18th Man wrote:why not have one linesman watch the ten metre line, one linesman watching the play of the ball and the onfield ref watching over things
We do.

Depends, like Geoff says, whether you want more stoppages in play. Refs let minor things slide for the benefit of a more flowing game.
Are you in favour of it, Rob? And, perhaps more importantly, have you heard anything about whether it will happen here or not? Trialling it in NL1 for example?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I have heard the RFL are not keen whatsoever. Oddly neither am I. Pragmatically, we do not have the officials nor the finance.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:I have heard the RFL are not keen whatsoever. Oddly neither am I. Pragmatically, we do not have the officials nor the finance.
Fair point, I just feel in favour of anything that will reduse mistakes, even at the expense of some free-flowing rugby. Same reason I was always in favour of TV refs when they were introduced.

I take the point about the cost, though - if it came to a choice, I'd rather see TV refs at all games, not just SKY ones.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I wish they would go back to part time referees and use the money for video referees etc.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Stuart Cummings said in press that he's not going to try it because not enough officials.

Don't think it'd make much difference. If anything ruck official may get in way... where does he stand during play? Behind defence with other ref? Behind attacking players?

Don't think refs make many mistakes at top level (they make decisions folk don't agree with), don't think that'd change with another official.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

cpwigan

2 Referees

Post by cpwigan »

Early days but IMO it is a super innovation. Beforehand I thought it would be chaotic. Far from it.