Two referees: thoughts?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
GeoffN

Re: 2 Referees

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:Early days but IMO it is a super innovation. Beforehand I thought it would be chaotic. Far from it.
Please don't start new threads when the topic is already under discussion in an existing one. :wink:

Threads merged.

:D :D :D :roll:
cpwigan

Re: Two referees: thoughts?

Post by cpwigan »

:redf: I could not see it. Eye test for me lol
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

Don't think refs make many mistakes at top level (they make decisions folk don't agree with), don't think that'd change with another official.
To Rob:

Refs do make mistake but they are only human. It is one person interprations of the rules.

For Example Ben Thaler Vid ref decision Wigan V Quins. I know Rob said it was no try. Most of the people watching tv thought it was no try but it was ben Thaler interpritation that he did not kock on! If this example ain't good enough there was the game in London in 2007 when you help with the interchnages. Thaler and 1 tj didn't see a knock on but the other tj did see it. The try was given but there was a knock on mistake? (yeah a small one)

the quins game this year Mon Alibert gave Phill baily a try when on a 2nd look a double movement may have been given. Would a difference ref called this differently?

2 ref may mean two interpriation which may result in one ref seeing it one way and another ref seeing it a different way.
turf

Post by turf »

I hate to say a phrase that Stevo uses, but "it's all down to interpretation".
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Now the nrl is back on the box I like the two ref system. Games are faster and flow better. The reefing and holding down of defenders is more readily spotted/ The ref has the problem he is setting the line for the next play. Vision os easily blocked. Works well needs to be imported, Jim
doc

Post by doc »

I'm not so happy about using video ref for double movement. It always looks worse in slow motion than in real time.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I was sceptical at first but from the games I've watched it seems to be working well and the players that have been interviewed have said that it speeds the game up.

If only there were enough top grade referees in the UK to make it workable. Unfortunately, the set up in Aus is miles superior.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz wrote:I was sceptical at first but from the games I've watched it seems to be working well and the players that have been interviewed have said that it speeds the game up.

If only there were enough top grade referees in the UK to make it workable. Unfortunately, the set up in Aus is miles superior.
That's a good point Rob, but maybe the extra practice will help the less experienced refs improve, acting alongside a more experienced one? Dunno. Also, cutting down their workload in a game can only help, surely?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN wrote:
robjoenz wrote:I was sceptical at first but from the games I've watched it seems to be working well and the players that have been interviewed have said that it speeds the game up.

That's a good point Rob, but maybe the extra practice will help the less experienced refs improve, acting alongside a more experienced one? Dunno. Also, cutting down their workload in a game can only help, surely?
Lot of pressure though, is it right and proper to gain experience this way? You learn from mistakes and you don't want to make mistakes at that level.

There are relatively fewer match officials in the UK. In Australia, there are enough match officials to have touch judges on childrens games and they even have communications kits.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I know we give the SL referees heaps but trust me they are a mile ahead of many below. The referee at Salford for the reserves on Friday was downright disgusting. Useless would be a polite phrase.