Dragons in Bird bid

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Dragons in Bird bid

Post by josie andrews »

French side offer Australian new route into Super League

Greg Bird could finally seal his move to Super League, with the Catalans Dragons ready to offer him a lifeline after he was refused entry to the UK.

The Australian stand-off was due to join Bradford Bulls for the new season, but the British High Commission turned down his visa request due to his pending court case.

Former Cronulla man Bird is facing assault charges and, although he hopes to clear his name in Sydney on April 27, he will not be handed a visa until the case is settled.

Bird could now be handed a lifeline though, with the Catalans Dragons ready to sign him up and offer him the chance to play in Super League.

"I don't believe there will be a problem with him getting into France, like he has getting into the UK," Catalans general manager Christophe Levy told the Sydney Telegraph.

Quality

"They look upon things differently to France.

"We are looking for some quality forwards and Greg Bird is a quality forward."

The Dragons could also try and perform the same trick with Australian back-rower Michael Crocker, who was due to join Hull but was initially also denied a visa.

The Catalans celebrated a first win of the season at Warrington on Saturday, but they are struggling with injuries, especially to key forwards.

Sebastien Raguin, Jason Ryles and Casey McGuire are already out, while Dane Carlaw left the Warrington game early on after a high tackle from Ben Westwood.

With so many injuries, bringing in a couple of high-profile Australians would lift Kevin Walters' side for their upcoming campaign.

Wolves man Westwood was placed on report for the high shot on Carlaw by referee Jason Robinson, and Walters thinks he could face disciplinary action.

"I haven't looked at it properly but I'm sure, if it is judged to be illegal, the right people will deal with it," said Walters.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 65,00.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Re: Dragons in Bird bid

Post by pedro »

good idea
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

How does that work with 'working abroad' in the UK every other weekend?
pedro

Post by pedro »

:D
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Surely the RFL should be the ones doing the blocking, not the French or Britsh governments.
That the only way to have a level playing field between us and the French.
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

if he gets his french visa he will have rights to travel to the uk on "work purposes" wont he? after all he hasnt been convicted of anything and the freedom to work anywhere in the eu and all that. good idea by the french! and also wernt they looking at croker?

looks like bradford where after a publicity stunt now doesnt it, did they really think his visa would have been accepted?
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

A lot of the players rejected Visas are likely to get spots elsewhere. The rumours are Eastwoo to NZ Warriors and Croker to Cronulla. The ones barred from the NRL will maybe do this and go to Cats or possibly to Japan to play Union.
Reevezie 2.0.0.8

Catalans Swoop For Bird

Post by Reevezie 2.0.0.8 »

Wigan's Favourite Salon Follows The Wigan Warriors http:// http://www.cuttingcrewwigan.co.uk
Reevezie 2.0.0.8

Post by Reevezie 2.0.0.8 »

P.S thanks Josie lol can't see for looking hun..... :D
Wigan's Favourite Salon Follows The Wigan Warriors http:// http://www.cuttingcrewwigan.co.uk