Fa'asavalu charged with 'chicken tackle'

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
MrDave

Fa'asavalu charged with 'chicken tackle'

Post by MrDave »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ma ... gby-league

The 'chicken wing tackle' has caused a lot of controversy in the NRL with many players and coaches believing it to be very dangerous.

Apparently the RFL are keen to keep this sort of tackling out of rugby league and if found guilty Fa'asavalu could face a 4 match ban. The only problem is Clint Newton from Hull KR was the first player in the Super League to be charged with a 'chicken wing tackle' and he was found guilty but yet he was only fine £300.

Expect a lot of inconsistency with this rule. Fa'asavalu will get a £300 fine but wait until some one kicks up a fuss and expect a few 4 matches bans.
East Stand Faithful

Re: Fa'asavalu charged with 'chicken tackle'

Post by East Stand Faithful »

I am struggling to understand how you prove he constantly targets the joints.

Having played rugby I was just glad to tackle correctly without actually targetting a bloody joint. Thats probably why I was crap at rugby but I struggle to see how you can prove he is doing it (although being the enemy he obviously is).
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
pedro

Post by pedro »

You would be able to see him doing it. Its a wrestling move and is now outlawed in the NRL.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Isn't it when they attempt to twist he shoulder and elbow in opposite directions? Not so much a tackling technque as an arm twist. It's not something as far as I know that happens at high spedd in a tackle, but after a player has ben stopped but is still held upright. No doubt the defence will allege trying to target the ball carrying arm to stop an off-load.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

exile in Tiger country wrote:Isn't it when they attempt to twist he shoulder and elbow in opposite directions? Not so much a tackling technque as an arm twist. It's not something as far as I know that happens at high spedd in a tackle, but after a player has ben stopped but is still held upright. No doubt the defence will allege trying to target the ball carrying arm to stop an off-load.
Ok I can understand that thanks.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

One match ban.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 935919.stm

What a surprise; he'll be able to play in the Leeds game...