BRIAN CARNEY

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Hampo is god

BRIAN CARNEY

Post by Hampo is god »

What a Wigan legend he is, listened to him tonight and quite clear he still loves the club, even praising us and giving us positive comments when we clearly was very poor.
Shame to hear him say that he is unhappy at Munster with his current situation of not being selected to play in the first team.
For me I would hope IL would try and persuade him to come back as even at his age the man is class and with him and Ainscough on both wings they would be formidable!
(Of course if we could afford him lol)
cpwigan

Re: BRIAN CARNEY

Post by cpwigan »

I would suggest that such an articulate, personable and intelligent man should be found a position within the club rather than as a player. Failing that SKY or the BBC should employ him permanently.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I agree entirely with both of the above posts. What a refreshing change it was to listen to a highly educated, articulate and witty summariser. A total opposite from 90% of the guests that Sky have on there.
I like Barrie Mac and think he's funny, but he's not as good as Carney at making his point and he's probably not quite as funny. I think Carney could do wonders as one of our backroom staff, to have someone in the club with so much passion about the place would be invaluable. I also think his intelligence would come to the fore and his witt would restore a sense of calm and a relaxed feel throughout the squad. I hope you're listening Mr Hogan :lol:

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I remember a few years ago the BBC had got Sculthorpe or somebody else to do the commentary for the CC and for some reason they couldn't do it, so Maurice sent them Brian, he hadn't been at the club that long and the BBC said 'who'? Anyway Brian turned up and did his bit, and Aunty Beeb were so impressed with his eloquence and knowledge they asked could they have every time it was possible :lol:

What people do tend to forget though that Brian is very well educated and is in fact a qualified lawyer.

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I also would agree , he is both very interesting and funny, he also still loves the club . He should get a job in the media easy enough but I would bring him in as a player could be just what the team needs , he is very vocal in the dressing room, anyone who's seen the DVD of GB will know. Get rid of the couple of definite no hopers and bring him back just to the end of season would be enough!!
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

josie andrews wrote:I remember a few years ago the BBC had got Faz or somebody else to do the commentary for the CC and for some reason they couldn't do it, so Maurice sent them Brian, he hadn't been at the club that long and the BBC said 'who'? Anyway Brian turned up and did his bit, and Aunty Beeb were so impressed with his eloquence and knowledge they asked could they have every time it was possible :lol:

What people do tend to forget though that Brian is very well educated and is in fact a qualified lawyer.
He is actually a Doctor of law i believe.When he first signed for Wigan he was staying at Mawdsley eatng house and they got a phone call or letter for a Dr Carney and no one realised it was for him.
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

hes a legend brian carney, a real character, a team needs players like him just for the banter they add, a quality bloke and id have him in our starting 13 any day of the week...
mickh

Post by mickh »

Whilst Brian Carney was always a good talker, he was also always injured in one way or another!
He may have scored some spectacular tries for Wigan (which is what most people remember him for) but, he hardly had a good run in the team because of his injuries.
In fact I would go so far as to say that he drew more money from the Wigan club as a none-player than being a player for the team.
No we don't want him back!
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Yes Mick but you have to follow that up by the title NRL winger of the year. And he is fit at present. Back in as moral coach. We are not short of wingers now I would expect Mathers back next week, Jim
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

mickh wrote:Whilst Brian Carney was always a good talker, he was also always injured in one way or another!
He may have scored some spectacular tries for Wigan (which is what most people remember him for) but, he hardly had a good run in the team because of his injuries.
In fact I would go so far as to say that he drew more money from the Wigan club as a none-player than being a player for the team.
No we don't want him back!
And it was well known that he had injuries when it suited him and carried an injury until he got what he wanted and that was away from Wigan then suddenly got better.

He loves Wigan....yeh right! :angry: