10 metres?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
the_cow

10 metres?

Post by the_cow »

After the tragic death of young Leon Walker at Wakey, this has brought to a head a thought I have had festering for a bit. This was confirmed last night when I read a small article in the Manc Evening News from one of his previous coaches saying the same, so I thought I would throw it up here for discussion...

Should the 10m from the potb rule be reduced to say 7 or 8m?

There is a growing trend within the game for numerous serious injuries (whether this has gone up in recent times I dont know compared to say the 70's and 80's)but I think the amount of impact at the tackle has increased as players have got stronger and fitter and the game has got faster. Further to that I think this hasn't been helped with making players have their front foot on the line rather than their back, giving attacking forwards a half metre or so more to build up speed.

I think there is a worry that the current levels of impact are putting too much stress on the younger players in that they haven't matured physiologically and the affect that tackling say feka at 18/19 could have in the long term is unknown and could reduce their career spans, whilst ending some people's in the short term.

Furthermore, the increasing levels of impact force players to get bigger to prevent injury, which causes an ongoing cycle (although players can't get too big or they can't run).

I understand that the distance was put back from 5m to 10m to promote attacking play and give more time in the backs rather than up your jumpre rugby, but surely it takes more skill to pass a ball down the line when the defensive line is on you faster...

Anyway, I think we should be looking at reducing the defensive line to 7m or 8m. Although, I do see that it would be difficult to mark out for the ref.

Opinions?
NOBLE OUT PLEASE- YOU'VE HAD TIME AND NOW MY PATIENCE HAS RUN OUT!

IT'S ONE THING TO LOSE, IT'S ANOTHER TO PLAY DIRE AND BORING RL AND THEN LOSE!