Is Saints a must win game?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Is Saints a must win game?

Post by cpwigan »

It has mentioned by I think Wiganer that it is and in my heart I agree. The old adage that a Wigan coach must get us to Wembley and beat Saints is still incredibly strong.

However, in my head I could accept a loss if we played really well.

Sean Long not playing v Leeds suggest he might be a doubt for Thursday too.
gpartin

Re: Is Saints a must win game?

Post by gpartin »

In all fairness we're playing them at the best possible time, 4 days after a hopefully bruising encounter against Leeds!!

I tend to think that its how we play that is the most important but would desperately like a win.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Not a must win if it's pure rugby you think of. St Helens are another class, all agreed? If we put in a good performance then I could accept a loss. Anything better than previous displays over the last 4 years anyway (apart from 2 games). Noble will keep his job if we lose he won't worry... I think the Cats game is a 'must win' - games like that we need points.

On a more traditional note this game is always a must win, for me anyway but i'd take a good performance
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

pieater-alex wrote:Oh dear. The culture at Wigan has long gone. We should never be pleased with defeat.

Every game is a must win. Beating Saints should be a target for every season.

In the 1988-1995 era Wigan players hated losing more than they liked winning.

I know the point your making though CP but I will never accept defeat against St.helens.
And you Alex make a point that is probably unspeakable to many but perfectly correct in that the present day Wigan teams do not have that culture but Saints perhaps do.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

more of a must compete than must win
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

waterside glens wrote:more of a must compete than must win
Agreed. Realistically, we can't expect to win it, it's the next three (Cats, Celtic & Wakey) that are must win games. We then get Saints again in the MM game, before another bunch of must win (and should be winnable) games. To be showing any sort of progress, we should be beating, or at least coming close, to everyone except Leeds & Saints, who are still a class apart from the rest, sadly.
dezzer1952

Post by dezzer1952 »

How the Mighty have Fallen. Up until recent seasons a loss against Saints was unthinkable nay catastrophic but listen to us now. Anything but a thrashing or humiliation will be a good result provided we put up a good performance. We have become pessimists thanks to our hopeless coach with his one dimensional style rugby and our team with their inconsistant play(putting it mildly).The clashes against Saints each year were the highlight of our season but now we dread them for fear of humiliation.Maybe with the injection of local talent (who appreciate what it means to play against Saints) in the not to distant future we can begin to relish such fixtures again.Keep the Faith.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

dezzer1952 wrote:How the Mighty have Fallen. Up until recent seasons a loss against Saints was unthinkable nay catastrophic but listen to us now. Anything but a thrashing or humiliation will be a good result provided we put up a good performance. We have become pessimists thanks to our hopeless coach with his one dimensional style rugby and our team with their inconsistant play(putting it mildly).The clashes against Saints each year were the highlight of our season but now we dread them for fear of humiliation.Maybe with the injection of local talent (who appreciate what it means to play against Saints) in the not to distant future we can begin to relish such fixtures again.Keep the Faith.
Sure, but that's the nature of sporting contests. Lots of teams have their "time at the top" - and we had a lot more than most. Of course it would great to get back up there, but we don't have any "divine right" to be, any more than any other team. I'm old enough to remember the likes of Oldham being the "team to beat" (and we had a pretty good side then, too - Boston, Ashton, Barton, Sullivan, McTigue and the rest!)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I do Dezzer. I want to get to Wembley this season but to watch Wigan get destroyed by Saints at Wembley would be gut wrenching. Rightly or wrongly I fear the worst now whenever we play them.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

What a silly thread, saints is always a must win game!!!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!