Gleeson official confirmation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Gleeson official confirmation

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

confirmed on our site
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Re: Gleeson officical confirmation

Post by josie andrews »

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=4666

Wigan Warriors today confirm the signing of current England International Centre Martin Gleeson from Warrington Wolves.

Wigan-born Gleeson will join the Warriors for a six-figure transfer fee, signing a 3½ year contract, and will link up with his new team mates with immediate effect. He is expected to make his debut against former Club St Helens on Thursday at the JJB Stadium.

Speaking about the signing Chairman Ian Lenagan said:

"I am delighted when Wigan announce the signing of an England International but when he’s Wigan-born, that makes it even more special. Martin is an exceptional strike centre and can play stand-off too and his acquisition shows that Wigan will pay a substantial Fee to acquire the right player."

Warriors Head Coach Brian Noble added:

"Martin brings another new dimension to our attacking options as we develop our style of play. I know him well from my time as Great Britain Coach and I’m delighted that he has chosen to come to Wigan."

Martin Gleeson said:

"It will be an honour to wear the famous cherry and white shirt. I decided some time ago that if I left the Wolves to play for any other Club in Super League then it would probably only be my hometown club. As this opportunity has now come up I’m delighted to take it. The Warriors have an exciting future and I’m really looking forward to being part of that."

Gleeson is arguably the most attack-minded Centre in Super League who also has the ability to play at Stand Off. He has a powerful physique, terrific sidestep and a natural try scoring instinct He was also Warrington’s top off-loader last season. His tally of 53 was second only to Leon Pryce in the Super League competition.

Whilst Martin was born in Wigan, he emigrated to Australia with his family at the age of 10 and spent most of his junior career in Brisbane. After returning to the UK he turned professional with Huddersfield Giants, making his professional debut in 1999. He signed for St Helens in 2002, playing an important role in their 2002 Super League and 2004 Challenge Cup winning teams. In 2004 he became Warrington’s most expensive signing when he made the move from Knowsley Road in a reported £250,000 deal.

After representing England Under 21’s on their tour of South Africa in 2001, Gleeson went on to make his full Great Britain debut in 2002 in Sydney. Last season he scored a hat-trick for England against France in Toulouse and was one of the standout players for a disappointing England in the World Cup in Australia. He has also made the Super League Dream Team on two occasions in 2002 and 2005.

Wigan also confirm the release of Richard Mathers who has been signed by Warrington with immediate effect.

Ian Lenagan commented:

"I am disappointed that it did not work out better for Richard at Wigan because he is an exceptional character with an extremely positive attitude. We wish him well at Warrington, joining up with his previous Coach, Tony Smith.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Should improve the fortunes of the club. We really need players like Gleeson who can create tries on their own. 13 such players and we will be fine even under Noble.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

.................... but more importantly RM has gone in the opposite direction.

I was never his greatest fan, but I gave him time and perhaps more understanding than was ruthlessly necessary.

Despite his lack of on field performance and form, i have it on good authority he was a good professional with a decent attitude. I wish him well at Dire , sorry Wire.
RJ

Post by RJ »

cpwigan wrote:Should improve the fortunes of the club. We really need players like Gleeson who can create tries on their own. 13 such players and we will be fine even under Noble.

I just hope you are right. Gleeson has a reputation as being disruptive and, as I understand it, this is why he has been released by Warrington as he is a 'bad influence'. Also I have to question the wisdom of signing a 29year old on a lucrative 3.5 year deal. Personally I would have preferred to be patient with our youngsters as a long term strategy and only sign players of some standing with a good few years to go where it was vital.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I would imagine that the transfer fee came from IL's pocket. He clearly hopes that it will turn around the falling attendances.

As for Gleeson - despite what I thought of him after the betting scandal with Long; as far as I am concerned he comes to Wigan with a clean slate. I hope everyone will give him a chance to prove his worth - and I hope that he returns that faith.

As for Mathers; he had a great attitude; however for the most part he has been a liability for us, dodgy under the high ball and not fast enough. That said; I'm not sure if he deserves to have to go to wire as punishment! It's a bit harsh! I wish him all the best.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

His salary will likely be covered by:

- His first years wage won't be a full years wage, just from now until the end of November - 8 months.

- Some of his wages will have been knocked off like for like by the removal of RM from our wage bill.

- Players going out on loan. Goulding to Salford anybody?

- Our official salary cap leftover of £20K would likely have been understated. We'd verbally 'signed' Ruben Wiki and Trent Barrets year 3 deal was a stonker. Even with deferred wages for other players coming into effect this year that inflation can't have filled the vacuum. Perhaps what IL meant was we have £20 leftover from our emergency fund of ***K?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew wrote:I would imagine that the transfer fee came from IL's pocket. He clearly hopes that it will turn around the falling attendances.

As for Gleeson - despite what I thought of him after the betting scandal with Long; as far as I am concerned he comes to Wigan with a clean slate. I hope everyone will give him a chance to prove his worth - and I hope that he returns that faith.
There is a good post on rlfans from someone who works as a community coach with Wire who says he is easily led, very quiet bloke easily influenced BUT he says Gleeson is not hanging about with what he calls the core of disruptive players at Wire. The poster suggests he has matured so maybe Gleeson wanted away from the dross at Wire?

I agree with you about IL doing this to deal with the attendances falling. That will be part of it so to my mind this is another one of those event driven transfers because what we really need is a top class prop before we fix the centres.
As for Mathers; he had a great attitude; however for the most part he has been a liability for us, dodgy under the high ball and not fast enough. That said; I'm not sure if he deserves to have to go to wire as punishment! It's a bit harsh! I wish him all the best.
True!

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

weststand-rich wrote:His salary will likely be covered by:

- His first years wage won't be a full years wage, just from now until the end of November - 8 months.

- Some of his wages will have been knocked off like for like by the removal of RM from our wage bill.

- Players going out on loan. Goulding to Salford anybody?

- Our official salary cap leftover of £20K would likely have been understated. We'd verbally 'signed' Ruben Wiki and Trent Barrets year 3 deal was a stonker. Even with deferred wages for other players coming into effect this year that inflation can't have filled the vacuum. Perhaps what IL meant was we have £20 leftover from our emergency fund of ***K?
You will have to ask Dave O re the salary cap but the way he explained it to me we have to count Gleeson's full season salary. This season and beyond Gleeson is on a fantastic salary. A 20% increase on his Wire one.

Maybe the 20K was not the truth. Maybe Mathers was on a really good salary.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Dave-O

enlighten us. I am still operating in a pre-tightened up salary cap world?

Now if we could swop one of our underperforming props (insert name of choice here) for Adrian Morley.....