Bradford Leeds

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Bradford Leeds

Post by cpwigan »

Turf Tuef Turf

Golden Rule; Whatever Stevo says take the opposite view and you will be right. I even think Hemmings gets it right more than Stevo does.
turf

Post by turf »

It must have been disallowed from the pass that Jones Buchannon recieved, rather than gave to infield because that was backwards.

Grrrrrrrrrr I am so confused. :conf: :angry:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No Turf JJB tried to catch the ball but he did not and ended up making it go forward so when McGuire caught it that ball had been knocked on by JJB. A knock on does not have to hit the floor.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

cpwigan wrote:No Turf JJB tried to catch the ball but he did not and ended up making it go forward so when McGuire caught it that ball had been knocked on by JJB. A knock on does not have to hit the floor.
Didn't Bradford have one chalked off for the same reason last season when we played them at Widnes?.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN wrote:I'd be interested in Rob's input on when a forward pass (which the VR can't adjudicate) becomes a knock on.
If in doubt get the rule book out! :D
Rugby Leage
Laws of the Game
Section 2: Glossary

PASS is a throw of the ball from one player to another

KNOCK ON means to knock the ball towards the opponents' dead ball line with hand or arm, while playing at the ball.
Did Jamie Jones Buchanon 'throw' the ball or did he 'knock' the ball!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

gpartin wrote:The one I meant was when Webb was in front of the play the ball but involved himself in the attack afterwards. As far as I knew if you don't get in anyones way you can be played onside and join in the attack. Tim Smith often stands in front of the ptb.
I don't know if anyone can remember Harlequins away a couple of seasons ago (it wasn't televised):

Mickey Higham was in front of a Wigan play the ball. Wigan then advanced forward of Higham and put a kick to the wing. The 'Quins winger received the ball and was tackled by Vaealiki and Higham. Ashley Klein penalised Wigan approx. 25 m from where the kick was received. This was because Higham was offside at the play-the-ball. He can't take part in that play at all.

Saints also had a try chalked off a couple of seasons ago. Saints were attacking the Wakefield line, Wellens was about 2 m in front of the play-the-ball with his hands on his head, as soon as play went past him he stood inside of the centre, received the pass and grounded the ball. They disallowed the try.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz wrote:
gpartin wrote:The one I meant was when Webb was in front of the play the ball but involved himself in the attack afterwards. As far as I knew if you don't get in anyones way you can be played onside and join in the attack. Tim Smith often stands in front of the ptb.
I don't know if anyone can remember Harlequins away a couple of seasons ago (it wasn't televised):

Mickey Higham was in front of a Wigan play the ball. Wigan then advanced forward of Higham and put a kick to the wing. The 'Quins winger received the ball and was tackled by Vaealiki and Higham. Ashley Klein penalised Wigan approx. 25 m from where the kick was received. This was because Higham was offside at the play-the-ball. He can't take part in that play at all.

Saints also had a try chalked off a couple of seasons ago. Saints were attacking the Wakefield line, Wellens was about 2 m in front of the play-the-ball with his hands on his head, as soon as play went past him he stood inside of the centre, received the pass and grounded the ball. They disallowed the try.
Cheers, Rob, that's pretty much how I understood it. Just to clarify, does the offside player actually have to touch the ball (or get involved in the tackle, in the Higham example)? Suppose Webb had just tracked Burrow in support, but the pass had gone to someone else...would he still have been penalised as "involved in the play" as essentially a dummy runner (affecting the defence's alignment), or would it be up to the defence to realise he was out of play and ignore him?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN wrote:Cheers, Rob, that's pretty much how I understood it. Just to clarify, does the offside player actually have to touch the ball (or get involved in the tackle, in the Higham example)? Suppose Webb had just tracked Burrow in support, but the pass had gone to someone else...would he still have been penalised as "involved in the play" as essentially a dummy runner (affecting the defence's alignment), or would it be up to the defence to realise he was out of play and ignore him?
The question to ask would be; 'would there have been an interference due to Webbs presence.'

Burrow had Webb inside him and the defender would have to make a decision based on the presence of Webb so I would say that is an interference.

Had Webb been on the other side of the field, out of play at the play-the-ball and tracked level with Burrow but was never an option runner then it wouldn't have been a penalty.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

i lovwe it when im right and stevos wrong ,but hey im alllways right and hes allways wrong
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

mike binder wrote:i lovwe it when im right and stevos wrong ,but hey im alllways right and hes allways wrong
I've found you're only wrong when you disagree with me Mike :wink: