Wigan St. Cuthberts - National Cup Semi-Final

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
robjoenz

Wigan St. Cuthberts - National Cup Semi-Final

Post by robjoenz »

Wigan St. Cuthberts v West Hull
Saturday 11 April
14:30 kick-off

According to the betting odds in League Express, St. Cuthberts are the underdogs today (NW Counties side v Conference Side) but if there's plenty of people there and a good atmosphere, who knows.

Go down and support amateur RL in Wigan!
robjoenz

Re: Wigan St. Cuthberts - National Cup Semi-Final

Post by robjoenz »

Did anyone go? Really good atmosphere there and a very close game. First half was dominated by Cuthberts playing down hill going in at half time with a 22 points to 6 lead. West Hull equally used the slope in the second half to swing the score in their favour 22 - 24. With about 2 minutes to go Cuthberts levelled the scored with a penalty for lying on making it 24 a piece. From the kick off they brought the ball back and got a penalty for a high shot and another set for slowing of the play the ball when West Hull were defending their line. Then one of Cuthberts big forwards ran over about 4 West Hull players making about 15 metres and set up the drop goal that won the game. Lots of complaining about it going wide but the referee had the best view in the house and gave it. Final score 25 - 24. Wigan St. Cuthberts v Siddal in the final.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Good news and good for amateur rugby in the borough. sounded like a good game in the sun.

think they'll beat siddall?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

It's the biggest day in their history and you should have seen the buffet they put on!!! :D

I'm not gonna say whether I think they'll win the final... if you looked at the bookies odds yesterday they were 15/2 and least favourite to win it out of the 4 semi-finalists. The favourites at 3/2 were Queens who were beaten by Siddal 28-21 this afternoon. Anything could happen. Not got the intensity of Super League but it had the same excitement at Saints and Wigan (okay maybe a little less).
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

They have won several games against the odds this season. I think for several seasons they were coached by Cuthbert old boys but this season they have two prominent ex St Pats lads coaching them. Hope they win it.

Just glad Queens are not in the final. They sound vile.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan wrote:Just glad Queens are not in the final. They sound vile.
I think that's unfair. It's the fans that give them the bad name.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Rob by all accounts their players give out plaenty of cheap shots too.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

cpwigan wrote:Rob by all accounts their players give out plaenty of cheap shots too.
Used to watch em quite regularly, they're no better and no worse than any club at that level.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

gpartin wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Rob by all accounts their players give out plaenty of cheap shots too.
Used to watch em quite regularly, they're no better and no worse than any club at that level.
I'd agree with what gpartin said.

Discipline was better than your usual NWC or Conference game. Both sets of players were really good at getting back the 10 m. When I say that I mean the dummy half had plenty of room to play in. Both sides were trying to slow down the PTB with it being tight but there was no malice in the game, very tense but nothing malicious.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I'm talking about Queens re discipline chaps not Cuthberts or WHull.