referees

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: referees

Post by cpwigan »

No being perfectly serious.

Pre 2009 Over reacting to edicts laid down = matches with 30+ penalties. Crazy. Far too one sided in the contest between defence and attack screaming like rabid dogs at tacklers to get off resulted in a low skill game where referees created gaps that players simply scooted through and when required to use skill in the RLWC we were accordingly found wanting.

2009 No games spoiled earlu season by ludicrous penalty counts, a more sensible contest between defence and attack forcing teams to use skill and develop their own non referee created attacking ploys. Far far better especially in the long run.

Somebody show me a match where the referee has been the key determinant of a win / loss in 2009 or a game where the referee has made more mistakes than either of the teams taking part.

2009 has seen a new and improved standard of refereeing.
pedro

Post by pedro »

The ref last night was terrible, murdered huddersfield. Worst display of the year if you ask me and I was a neutral. Idve thrown the tv out of the window if he had officiated us like that.
ian b

Post by ian b »

agree on the penalty count but some of the offsides,forward passes and not standing square at the play the ball cant be good for the game surely.Otherwise they should do away with rules altogether!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not watched last nights game yet Pedro. Maybe the anti Huddersfield campaign has worked. I am amazed for example how many fans even unconciously are influenced by Eddie and Stevo.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Stevo and Clarkey can talk sense but Eddies bias shines through and I feel embarassed for him as I cringe. Wire, Sts and Leeds obviously lie close to his heart.

turf

Post by turf »

ste lord wrote:The VR was a disgrace. He was same the night before in the Dire game.

Cummins needs to sort it out.

Eddie does not help when he says stupid things like we should have a game litered with 60+ pens to ensure the PTB is correctly done. You might aswell not bother having any pace to a game.
That ste lord was Ian Smith.
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

Must agree with CP well at least about the French Ref as i think he looks like Jasper Carrot and acts like him too :lol: :lol:

Had me in stitches with his arm waving during the Bradford Game. He reminded me of JC Mr Wiggie charecter :lol: :lol:

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not that there is anything wrong with it (as long as they leave me well alone) but does anybody think Thierry bats for the pink team?
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

pedro wrote:Stevo and Clarkey can talk sense but Eddies bias shines through and I feel embarassed for him as I cringe. Wire, Sts and Leeds obviously lie close to his heart.
Youve just lost any credibility with that statement cause that Yorkshire tosser never talks anything but inane drivel and the sooner we have the Eddie and Stevo duo replaced the better.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

slimshady wrote:
pedro wrote:Stevo and Clarkey can talk sense but Eddies bias shines through and I feel embarassed for him as I cringe. Wire, Sts and Leeds obviously lie close to his heart.
Youve just lost any credibility with that statement cause that Yorkshire tosser never talks anything but inane drivel and the sooner we have the Eddie and Stevo duo replaced the better.
I always find this one interesting, fans of different clubs think they have different biases. I work with some Warrington fans who have said that Eddie hates Warrington and I know Saints fans that have said Stevo doesn't like them because they're not from Yorkshire.

My personal opinion is that they're most complimentary to Saints and Leeds; purely because they play the best rugby and are the most entertaining to watch.

My main gripe is their misunderstanding of rules. The Bradford v Leeds game, for example. Stevo claiming that Brent Webb wasn't offside because his team mates has played him on and also claimed that the knock-on from Jamie Jones-Buchanon had gone backwards. The viewing public expects these professional commentators to know the rules and they are who people to look for explanations when a decision isn't clear cut. When they confidently explain rules incorrectly it's often the referee that gets the blame.