St Pats u16s

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Brad5926

St Pats u16s

Post by Brad5926 »

Bit of an odd topic this but i was just wundering if any one could tell me the stating line up for the St Pats team that beat Blackbrook royals in the u16s National Cup Final of 2007 i think.

Much appreciated :)
cpwigan

Re: St Pats u16s

Post by cpwigan »

WIGAN ST PATRICKS: Stefan Marsh, James Howarth, Jonathon Molloy, Michael Dale, William Boardman, Scott Leatherbarrow, Anthony Griffiths, Owen Farrell, Wes Boyd, Mike Nicholls, Will Smith, Iain Thornley, Pat O’Neill, Callum Lowe, Liam Clarke, John Jenkins, Tom Spencer, Ryan Owen.

BLACKBROOK ROYALS: Thomas Johnson, James Rafferty, Owen Livesay, Tom Colborn, Paul Warton, Lawrence Howard, Adam Mars, Robert Murphy, Stephen Raftrey, Daniel Leach, Jon Lally, Daniel Langtree, Ryan Liptrot, Michael McDonald, Matthew Twist, Ryan Marsden, Adam Nicholls.
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

cpwigan wrote:WIGAN ST PATRICKS: Stefan Marsh, James Howarth, Jonathon Molloy, Michael Dale, William Boardman, Scott Leatherbarrow, Anthony Griffiths, Owen Farrell, Wes Boyd, Mike Nicholls, Will Smith, Iain Thornley, Pat O’Neill, Callum Lowe, Liam Clarke, John Jenkins, Tom Spencer, Ryan Owen.

BLACKBROOK ROYALS: Thomas Johnson, James Rafferty, Owen Livesay, Tom Colborn, Paul Warton, Lawrence Howard, Adam Mars, Robert Murphy, Stephen Raftrey, Daniel Leach, Jon Lally, Daniel Langtree, Ryan Liptrot, Michael McDonald, Matthew Twist, Ryan Marsden, Adam Nicholls.
Who won ?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The Under 16 Final

Wigan St Patricks 28 Blackbrook Royals 12

In a repeat of the Under 14 final two years ago these two famous sides locked horns again but whereas that game was decided in extra time St Pats taking the spoils this time they took victory in regular time outscoring the Blackbrook Royals by six tries to two.

With a large number of both squads aligned to professional clubs, for many this was their last game as amateur’s and the handling skills of both sides was a joy to behold especially by St Pats with their quick play the balls and speed of thought.

In sunny and windy conditions both sides tested themselves out in the forwards with tough rugged and at times no holds barred tackling and St Pats took the lead on nine minutes.

Prop Owen Farrell made a superb break from midfield before passing on to loose forward Pat O’Neill who passed onto winger William Boardman to score in the corner. Scrum half Anthony Griffiths couldn’t add the extras and only managed two from six on the day.

Three minutes later it was 10-0 as centre Jonathon Molloy took a superb ball and went through a gap to score the converted try.

It was all St Pats at this stage with some quick play the balls and hooker Wes Boyd who was controlling the ball at the ruck spraying out some telling passes to both forwards and backs.

Boyd showed that he could also score tries after centre Michael Dale was held up in the corner. After a delay for treatment to an injury to a Blackbrook player Boyd drove in at the corner and the referee signalled the try and the Wigan side led 14-0 after sixteen minutes.

Blackbrook though who had done the lion’s share of defending hit back and regained the ball three minutes later and the outstanding hooker Stephen Raftrey scored his sides opening converted try with full back Thomas Johnson adding the extras.

As Blacbrook tried to get back into the game they were outdone by St Patricks again on 22 minutes. Farrell made another superb break through the heart of the defence before passing outside to the supporting and influential Scott Leatherbarrow who quickly got the ball Molloy to score his second try in the same corner as his first.

Raftrey together with forwards Daniel Leach, Robert Murphy, Daniel Langtree, Jon Lally and Ryan Liptrot literally threw the kitchen sink at St Pats but they were out muscled by a quicker and more decisive Farrell, Boyd, Mike Nicholls, Will Smith, Iain Thornley and O’Neill.

On the stroke of half time St Pats scored their fifth try, the best of the whole afternoon’s rugby to lead by 24-6 which was worth the admission money alone. Leatherbarrow and Griffiths combined to pass out to Farrell who gave the ball outside to the supporting fullback Stefan Marsh on the wing. He accelerated down the wing before cutting inside with an angled run to go in from twenty metres for a converted try.

Within the opening minute Lally was sin binned for a high tackle and during this period St Pats took advantage of the extra man to score their final try on 47 minutes. Following a penalty for ball stealing the ball was kicked downfield and on the second tackle the classy Boyd drove over from the play the ball from close range.

As Lally returned Blacbrook were soon down to twelve again as centre Owen Livesay was sin binned but Blackbrook took the game to the Wigan rivals. They deservedly scored the last try of the game on 53 minutes when Langtree made a break from the play the ball. He drew the last St Pats defender before passing inside to Leach to score under the posts. Work horse full back Tom Johnson added the extras and as hard as they tried Blackbrook were outdone St Patricks who were quicker throughout the game from the play the ball.

On the whistle the cup St Pats skipper Griffiths and
eighteenth man Ryan Owen who had to miss out the final as result of a cruciate injury playing for England Under 16’s against France a few weeks earlier.

The Barrie McDermott Man of the Match was awarded to Wes Boyd of Wigan St Patricks.
There you go mate. I may be wrong but Owen had gone South with Andy and came back to play in this match and played prop and had a stormer. Wasted in Union that young man. So talented. I would have had him in the Wigan team at 17 but duty of care etc what do I know :D
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Sorry

once a Rose Bridge guy always a Rose bridge guy

but if was honest

which i am

i really support all amature teams in the WIGAN borough

Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Sorry to divert away from this topic slightly, but still on the Under 16 National Final, but of 2009.
Broughton Red Rose, a local team about 5 miles from where I live were beaten quite convincingly in this years U16 National final, at Salford, I beleive.
There was a 15 year old stand off playing for BRR, who my dad has been conditioning for the past 18 months.
He scored two tries for BRR that day, despite the opposition coach placing 3 players to specifically mark this kid.
The coach told my old man in person this information after the match.
The lads name is Sam Forrester, and he is curently trapping as fast as Greg McNally from Huddersfield.
My old man also conditions players at Whitehaven, so knows the low down on Greg McNally.
This Broughton lad is seriously worth looking at if there is anyone in the know on this site.
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Sorry to divert away from this topic slightly, but still on the Under 16 National Final, but of 2009.
Broughton Red Rose, a local team about 5 miles from where I live were beaten quite convincingly in this years U16 National final, at Salford, I beleive.
There was a 15 year old stand off playing for BRR, who my dad has been conditioning for the past 18 months.
He scored two tries for BRR that day, despite the opposition coach placing 3 players to specifically mark this kid.
The lads name is Sam Forrester, and he is curently trapping as fast as Greg McNally from Huddersfield.
My old man also conditions players at Whitehaven, so knows the low down on Greg McNally.
This Broughton lad is seriously worth looking at if there is anyone in the know on this site.
15year old Liam McAvoy also played at prop, what are your thoughts on him ?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

PM sent you a couple of private messages
Panchitta Marra

The Eclipse wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Sorry to divert away from this topic slightly, but still on the Under 16 National Final, but of 2009.
Dont know much of Liam, Eclipse, I just know a little about the players my old man conditions, and Liam McAvoy hasnt trained with my old man.
If he plays for Broughton, my dad will know all about him.
As I say, he just conditions players who ask him to do so.
He is 76 years of age, very old in the tooth, but knows his stuff about getting players right for important games.
Shaun Lunt of Huddersfield trained with him for a period, when he was at Workington Town.
He enjoys seeing players progress from what he shows them, stamina fitness, boxing, speed work, etc.
Panchitta Marra

The Eclipse wrote:
Phoned my dad tonight Eclipse, he said both Liam and his brother are very good players.