Have we as a club got the salary cap right

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
OAMJSONA

Have we as a club got the salary cap right

Post by OAMJSONA »

I have pondered on this question question for some time now and if i was honest i do not know the answer.

But my opinion for what it is worth is this ( and i know there are people on here who know more about the salary cap than i do)

I feel sorry for Ainscough and Sam Tomkins

why

Because we have a coach who does not know what itmeans for WIGAN lads to play for the first team in this town

do not get me wrong

we have top class Aussie / antipodeans at our great club through out the years

but they do not really know what it means to be born a Wigganer and play for the first team

As a club we want to progress and i do not see that happening under the Noble regime
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

DaveO

Re: Have we as a club got the salary cap right

Post by DaveO »

I don't think we have got the salary cap wrong (we have not broken it this season and it is "live" so we can't have) but I do think we have got the recruitment wrong.

I think Roberts is the best example. Not long after IL joined he said we needed a flying winger. We recruit Roberts for 2010. Then because his club in Oz is in a financial mess he becomes available early and on what seems like a whim, we get Carmont off quota and sign him a year early.

In my opinion we should have stuck to the original plan and if not signing him for 2009 meant he was not available for 2010, so what?

The we have Riddell. There have been the a few rumours that he wasn't the hooker Nobby wanted and he was another IL signing but whoever did sign him, it doesn't look brilliant business at the moment does it?

The trouble is though both players are it seems, whoever signed them, automatically higher up the pecking order for selection than players who come through the ranks.

Now I have never thought it possible for an all Wigan produced side to be successful and I have always said I don't care where players come from, Oz, NZ or Yorkshire so long as they are good enough (provided we stick to quota). No Wigan born lad who makes it to the junior sides has a right to play for us in the 1st team if he isn't good enough.

The trouble is IMO we are not recruiting overseas players who offer more than what we have already and that is the problem.

Dave

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:I don't think we have got the salary cap wrong (we have not broken it this season and it is "live" so we can't have) but I do think we have got the recruitment wrong.

I think Roberts is the best example. Not long after IL joined he said we needed a flying winger. We recruit Roberts for 2010. Then because his club in Oz is in a financial mess he becomes available early and on what seems like a whim, we get Carmont off quota and sign him a year early.

In my opinion we should have stuck to the original plan and if not signing him for 2009 meant he was not available for 2010, so what?

The we have Riddell. There have been the a few rumours that he wasn't the hooker Nobby wanted and he was another IL signing but whoever did sign him, it doesn't look brilliant business at the moment does it?

The trouble is though both players are it seems, whoever signed them, automatically higher up the pecking order for selection than players who come through the ranks.

Now I have never thought it possible for an all Wigan produced side to be successful and I have always said I don't care where players come from, Oz, NZ or Yorkshire so long as they are good enough (provided we stick to quota). No Wigan born lad who makes it to the junior sides has a right to play for us in the 1st team if he isn't good enough.

The trouble is IMO we are not recruiting overseas players who offer more than what we have already and that is the problem.

Dave

Absolutely spot on Dave. For most overseas player in the Wigan squad, the club has UK talent that can match their ability.
Pat Richards kicking is alone from that, IMO.
Am I wrong, but did Lenehan not publicly tell the fans Wigan would be signing an absolute super star for the 2009 season, a signing that would shock us all.
This was after the Cardiff humiliation of 2008.
Dont get me wrong, a super star isnt necisariy what Wigan need, and as you say we do however require a better level of overseas players on average than what we currently have in the squad.
From what I pick up on the posts to this site, On average, the overseas players are letting the team down more than the home grown lads.
Thats down to either poor recruitment, or poor coaching of those players.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

i think when you look at the cap ,next season if we could we could easyley take Amos ,riddler ,smith and bailey off the cap next season and not strugle .

we have plenty of back row players now and plenty coming threw.

thats would leave LULu and Mickey mack at hooker

and Ainscough on the wing.

This would than free loads of cash to improve sams and shauns wages and free money to find a new number 7 and another big prop.

i think we need to keep Phelps for a utility player
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
4bobs

Post by 4bobs »

I'm not surprised that some (Iaccept not all) players we seem to sign are average or less UNTIL we get to their last season when they then up their game. Smacks of looking for a new contract?

Am I being too cynical?

On the other hand, our local lads give their all each game as it the shirt and not the money that counts.

Giving these lads a larger piece of the money pie means that we would be less likely to lose them to other RL clubs or the ra-ra boys (like Ashton).

I appreciate that if there is a game turner available, we are a big enough club to be interested, but too often we appear to get let down.

With regards to the SC, if the RL top dogs are not prepared to outlaw Stains and others using "Image Rights" to attract more players on the cap, why aren't we doing same? Either all clubs should be allowed to do it (in which case, why bother having a low cap?) or stop clubs exploiting this loophole!

old hooker

Post by old hooker »

DaveO wrote:I don't think we have got the salary cap wrong (we have not broken it this season and it is "live" so we can't have) but I do think we have got the recruitment wrong.

Dave

OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

so Hooker

are you saying Ainscough and Sam Tomkins are not good enough to play for the first team

I would sooner see the lads in the team rather than Smith, Riddle,etc etc and so on
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I do not think anybody believes Wigan should have 13 Wiganers in their first XIII. It is unrealistic. What irks fans is when they see poor signings being given umpteen chances and Wigan born youngsters given none.

We currently have a rich crop of young talent. They are only a % of the academy/reserve squads. More will leave Wigan and have decent careers elsewhere. What we do not want is the very best leaving us.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

OAM wrote:so Hooker

are you saying Ainscough and Sam Tomkins are not good enough to play for the first team

I would sooner see the lads in the team rather than Smith, Riddle,etc etc and so on
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

old hooker wrote:
OAM wrote:so Hooker

Old Hooker why do your comments always appear were the signature should be?