Refs must be held accountable too

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
yoda warrior

Re: Refs must be held accountable too

Post by yoda warrior »

accepted but we were only ahead because of two miracle tackles by roberts and mcilorum. obviously things would have been different if he had stopped the game when the hooter went but i don't necessarily think we would have won the game. they were the better side in the second half.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

yoda warrior wrote: accepted but we were only ahead because of two miracle tackles by roberts and mcilorum. obviously things would have been different if he had stopped the game when the hooter went but i don't necessarily think we would have won the game. they were the better side in the second half.
Maybe, but we wouldn't have needed to chase the game at 12-0 up, we could have stuck to the game plan instead of panicking. Interestingly, Terry Mac said exactly the same thing on Boots last night.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

the decsion by the ref gave Hull KR a big advantage for the 2nd half as it deflated our lot and give them a big push

Referees

Must be held accountable ( but they never will be )
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

GeoffN wrote:
yoda warrior wrote: accepted but we were only ahead because of two miracle tackles by roberts and mcilorum. obviously things would have been different if he had stopped the game when the hooter went but i don't necessarily think we would have won the game. they were the better side in the second half.
Maybe, but we wouldn't have needed to chase the game at 12-0 up, we could have stuck to the game plan instead of panicking. Interestingly, Terry Mac said exactly the same thing on Boots last night.
we led 12-6 after half time geoff, we werent chasing the game until we gave away a try while in posession and let another one in after missing a very makeable tackle. my point is no refereeing decision, even a shocking one, costs a team a game. we still had the chance to control the game and didn't.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

A referee mistake can cause the outcome of a game just as much as a player mistake can.

I wouldn't have thought one mistake would cost a player his place in a side though. Wigan beat Leeds in the Challenge Cup the other year when Senior passed the ball straight to Sean O'Loughlin when Leeds were winning. A last minute try put Wigan through, it made no sense for Senior to be dropped. He made a mistake but the next available man for his position may have made more mistakes throughout the game or less positive pieces of play to put Leeds in that position in the first place.

Millenium Magic two years ago highlighted a problem whereby the video referee gave incorrect input to the match referee and then the match referee didn't check onside at the kick at goal. It cost Bradford the match. Highly unfortunate as the mistakes were genuine, but since then improvements have been made, the video referee can only give input when the match referee ask for it and all referees check players are onside at a kick at goal. People were calling for Klein and Ganson to be sacked but this would have been to the detriment of the game.

To look at the Bulldogs disallowed try. A while back coaches were complaining that there was inconsistency with obstruction calls because it was down to the video referees interpretation. They brought in a black and white ruling whereby any interference, no matter how minimal, means no try. It is now costing sides points (i.e. Bulldogs) and some very good tries are being disallowed (Idris for Bulldogs and one for Aus v Kiwis). Next season there will be a swing back to video referee interpretation.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Perhaps Mr Cummings should have his referee`s hearing tested?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I just hope we never see this in SL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 064930.stm
turf

Post by turf »

Spot on cpwigan. I know we all don't like referees but we must NEVER let this happen, or wish it to happen to ANY of the officials.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

I note with interest that Silverwood had S Cummings as his video ref. Wonder if?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

yoda warrior wrote:
GeoffN wrote: Maybe, but we wouldn't have needed to chase the game at 12-0 up, we could have stuck to the game plan instead of panicking. Interestingly, Terry Mac said exactly the same thing on Boots last night.
we led 12-6 after half time geoff, we werent chasing the game until we gave away a try while in posession and let another one in after missing a very makeable tackle. my point is no refereeing decision, even a shocking one, costs a team a game. we still had the chance to control the game and didn't.
Referee's decisions costs teams games year in year out.
If Silverwoods decision was in the last game of the season & Wigan were relegated as a result of the loss, would you still be saying the same thing, or becrying the referee's ineptness a little bit more, because maybe his error sent us down.