Billy Boston stand it is?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Billy Boston stand it is?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Saw a quote on the DW rent thread saying:
Whelan has been alarmed at the negative response from Latics fans at the proposal to name one of the stands after rugby league star Billy Boston.
He said: "There are a lot of complaints coming into Wigan Athletic from our supporters because we are calling one of the stands the Boston Stand.

"That is wrong. I think it is only fair on the stands is named after a legend like Billy Boston.

"Too many people say I will never go and watch Wigan RL or I will never go and watch Wigan Athletic. We are not a big town and we have two fabulous clubs. We should support them both, like I do."
no news on the official site though.

Would Billy be the only person to have 2 stands named after him?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cumbria_warrior

Re: Billy Boston stand it is?

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Cant see how the latics fans are not happy, who could they name a stand after? noone springs to mind that has achieved the status of the legendary bill boston
XIII

Post by XIII »

Well you do know Billy once said, "You could never pick a Wigan legend team, cos there's too many to choose from, then again you couldn't pick a St. Helens legends team either cos there's not enough to choose from." :lol: Can anyone no here name a latics legend?
Wigan Till I Die!!

We've had Barrett and Kenny, Edwards and Hanley, Boston and 8 IN A ROW!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exactly Wigan Athletic have no proper legends.
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

if (yeah right) the latics EVER get the same history and legends as us they can rename the town Wigan Athletics for all i care but they dont have any legends and dont sell out that stand every week so dont deserve it
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

XIII wrote:Can anyone no here name a latics legend?
Jimmy Bullard...even if does play for Hull.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

THE 18th Man wrote:if (yeah right) the latics EVER get the same history and legends as us they can rename the town Wigan Athletics for all i care but they dont have any legends and dont sell out that stand every week so dont deserve it

neither do we :roll:
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

the-Bowtun-Warr ior wrote:
THE 18th Man wrote:if (yeah right) the latics EVER get the same history and legends as us they can rename the town Wigan Athletics for all i care but they dont have any legends and dont sell out that stand every week so dont deserve it

neither do we :roll:

yeah but they dont make the effort to sell out the south stand for a premier match where as our fans do and get more use out of it
XIII

Post by XIII »

MrDave wrote:
XIII wrote:Can anyone no here name a latics legend?
Jimmy Bullard? To me a legend is someone who gives there all for their team/club. Jimmy Bullard has won nothing and been loyal to non of his clubs be it Latics, Fulham, Hull or whoever else he's played for. :lol: :lol: :D Jimmy Bullard! I can see it now, The Billy Boston Stand opposite the Jimmy Bullard stand! :lol:
Wigan Till I Die!!

We've had Barrett and Kenny, Edwards and Hanley, Boston and 8 IN A ROW!!!
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

MrDave wrote:
Someones having a giggle aren't they? Next thing we know they will be calling a stand "The Roberto Martinez Stand" because he actually used to play for Latics.